Dr Patricia McGettigan
Reader in Clinical Pharmacology and Medical Education (HCC)
Centre: Clinical Pharmacology
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44(0) 20 7882 7128
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9757-9754
Patricia McGettigan is a Clinical Pharmacologist and Consultant Physician at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) and Barts Health NHS Trust. She is head of MBBS clinical pharmacology, therapeutics and prescribing teaching at QMUL and provides clinical care in cardiology and specialist HIV-cardiovascular risk management at the Royal London Hospital. She is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland, the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and the British Pharmacological Society, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and executive editor at the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacology Research and Perspectives. She is a Member of the UK’s Commission on Human Medicines Pharmacovigilance Expert Advisory Group. In 2021, she was appointed by the European Commission to the Pharmacovigilance and Risk Management Committee of the European Medicines Agency.
Patricia McGettigan’s research focuses on pharmacoepidemiology and medicines regulation. In pharmacoepidemiology, major interests relate to drug-associated adverse events, medicines utilisation, and HIV-co-morbidities. Her regulatory research is on the authorisation of medicines, including fixed dose combination products and regulatory system failures in India, and the role of patient/disease registries in supporting post-authorisation medicines evaluation.
For a full list of publications click here
2013 - 2021
- Holt A, Blanche P, Zareini B, Rajan D, El-Sheikh M, Schjerning AM, Schou M, Torp-Pedersen C, McGettigan P, Gislason GH, Lamberts M. (2021). Effect of long-term beta-blocker treatment following myocardial infarction among stable, optimally treated patients without heart failure in the reperfusion era: a Danish, nationwide cohort study. Eur Heart J; 42(9):907 - 914. 1093/eurheartj/ehaa1058
- Lovegrove E, Robson J, McGettigan P. (2020) Pregnancy protection and pregnancies in women prescribed angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors/angiotensin receptor blockers. Br J Gen Pract; DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp20X712997
- Schuster Bruce C, Brhlikova P, Heath J, McGettigan P. (2019) The use of validated and non-validated surrogate endpoints in two European Medicines Agency expedited approval pathways: A cross-sectional study of products authorised 2011-2018. PLoS Med; 16(9):e1002873. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1002873
- McGettigan P, Alonso CO, Plueschke K, Castillon M, Nogueras DZ, Bahri P, Kurz X, Mol P. (2019) Patient registries: an underused resource for medicines evaluation: Operational proposals for increasing the use of patient registries in regulatory assessments. Drug Safety; 42:1343-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40264-019-00848-9.
- Morales D, Pacurariu A, Slattery J, Pinheiro L, McGettigan P, Kurz X. (2019) Association between peripheral neuropathy and exposure to oral fluoroquinolone or co-amoxiclav therapy: population-based nested case-control study. JAMA Neurol. 2019;76(7):827-833. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2019.0887
- McGettigan P, Roderick P, Kadam A, Pollock A (2018) Threats to global antimicrobial resistance control: Centrally approved and unapproved antibiotic formulations sold in India. BJCPDOI:10.1111/bcp.13503.
- McGettigan P, Roderick P, Kadam A, Pollock A (2017) Access, Watch and Reserve Antibiotics in India: Challenges for WHO stewardship. Lancet GH, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30365-0.
- Schjerning Olsen AM, Gislason GH, McGettigan P, Fosbøl E, Sørensen R, Lock Hansen M, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Lamberts M. (2015) Association of NSAID use with risk of bleeding and cardiovascular events in patients receiving antithrombotic therapy after myocardial infarction. JAMA; 313(8):805-814.
- Schjerning Olsen AM, Lindhardsen J, Gislason GH, McGettigan P, Hlatky MA, Fosbøl E, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Lamberts M. (2015) Impact of PPI treatment on gastrointestinal bleeding associated with NSAID use among post-myocardial infarction patients on antithrombotic therapy - A nationwide study. BMJ 2015; 351:h509.
- McGettigan P, Roderick P, Mahajan R, Kadam A, Pollock A (2015) Use of Fixed Dose Combination (FDC) drugs in India: Central regulatory approval and sales of FDCs containing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), metformin, or psychotropic drugs. PLoS Med; 12(5): e1001826.
- McGettigan P, Henry D (2013) Use of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs That Elevate Cardiovascular Risk: An Examination of Sales and Essential Medicines Lists in Low-, Middle-, and High-Income Countries. PLoS Med; doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001388.
- McGettigan P, McKendree J, Reed N, Holborow S, Deveraux-Walsh C, Mace T (2013) Identifying attributes required by Foundation Year 1 doctors in multidisciplinary teams: A tool for performance evaluation. BMJ Qual Saf 2013; 22:225-232.
University of Copenhagen: Dr Anne-Marie Schjerning-Olsen, Dr Morten Lamberts, Professor Gunnar Gislason; University of Newcastle, UK: Dr Petra Sevcikova, Mr Peter Roderick, Professor Allyson Pollock; Indian Council of Medical Research: Professor Nilima Krishsagar; University of Dundee: Dr Daniel Morales.
- Many fixed-dose drug combinations in India lack central regulatory approval
Queen Mary University of London / PLOS Medicine