Skip to main content
Careers and Enterprise

Working in the UK

In this section, you can find out all you need to know about working in the UK. Firstly, you should watch our video from Rhianna - our Careers Consultant (International) - about interviewing for jobs in the UK.

It is important to start your job search by identifying companies that have worked with international students or graduates before.

Here is a list of licensed sponsors in the UK:

This is an extensive list and just because an employer has a sponsorship license doesn’t necessarily mean they will hire for all roles at all times using this. If you are open to exploring your career options, this Skilled Worker visa: shortage occupations may provide some inspiration.

Universities and large corporations have experience recruiting international graduates. Some other companies are still working to understand the changes in visa regulations, so it is important to be patient and understand your own situation if they ask. We are continuously working with new employers to broaden the opportunities available to you. Here is a useful link about UK visas and sponsorships for employers:

There are many ways in which you can search for work outside of the UK. To discover what it’s like to work in different countries, check out this Prospects link here. You will need to find out if there are any visa restrictions in place as part of the decision-making process. You can also use our GoinGlobal navigator.

If you are interested by where other Queen Mary students have worked overseas during or after their studies, the LinkedIn Alumni Tool will be perfect for you! Simply type in and follow ‘Queen Mary University of London’, click on to the main page, select ‘Alumni’ and browse by sector or country of interest.

In order to work in the UK, you will need a National Insurance (NI) Number for tax reasons. Please go to the government website to apply online - you can do this as soon as you arrive in the UK. Please note you will not need the NI number before you get the job, but you can obtain a temporary NI number in the interim.

Back to top