Attending Careers and Enterprise events is a fantastic way of making connections, as well as developing skills, knowledge and confidence.
Before the event:
- Research as much as you can about the employers you will meet.
- Dressing smartly will make you feel more professional and confident.
- Prepare some questions to ask the employers and alumni you will meet.
At the event:
- Introduce yourself in a clear and relevant manner, mention what your professional or academic interests are or why you are attending the event, an then ask an open-ended question to get the conversation going. Speak to as many people as you can.
- Ask questions and show that you’ve listened to the presentation by asking follow up questions, and don’t forget your prepared questions.
- Ask for contact details if you would like to continue the conversation beyond the event.
After the event:
A day or two after the event, take the time to follow up on the connections that you have made. Thank them for taking the time to talk to you, include something that helps them to remember you (e.g., ‘I very much enjoyed our discussion on…’) and reiterate your interest in their organisation. When you make an application or get invited to interview, you can refer to this contact as someone who has inspired you, further showing your interest in the organisation.