Skip to main content
International students

CAS and Visa

International students requiring a CAS and a Tier 4 Visa will find useful information below regarding student immigration information.

The information on this page is intended for new students joining Queen Mary University. Current and continuing students should view our Immigration pages for current students, and contact the Student Enquiry Centre directly for further information. 

We encourage you to visit our Advice and Counselling Service pages and book onto a webinar which provide guidance on the Tier 4 application process from overseas and the UK and how to evidence that you have the required funds for your visa application.

What is a CAS and when can I request one?

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique number issued to you by Queen Mary which allows you to apply for a Tier 4 visa with the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) service. When we issue a CAS to you, we are confirming that Queen Mary will sponsor your studies in the UK. You must have a CAS from Queen Mary to be able to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study here.

UCAS Applicants

To request a CAS you must be holding an unconditional offer of study which you have firmly accepted (Unconditional Firm), and your fee status must be 'overseas.' 

Once your Admissions status is Unconditional Firm and your fee status confirmed as 'overseas,' you should receive a CAS request email with instructions on requesting your CAS. Applicants are advised to regularly check their junk / spam inbox folders as some email providers will mistakenly filter this communication into these folders. 

Direct Applicants (Postgraduates, Foundation and Pre-Masters)

To request a CAS please select the CAS and Tier 4 Immigration tile in your applicant portal and follow the instructions. You will not be issued a CAS until you have firmly accepted an unconditional offer, paid any required deposit and the CAS issuing window must be open.  This is generally 3 months before the course start date.

For courses starting in September we typically start issuing CAS' from the middle of May onwards.  

Please note, we cannot issue a CAS earlier than six months before the start of your course, so you will not be contacted until the CAS issuing period has begun. 

The CAS can only be used once and is valid for six months from the date of being issued. You cannot use the CAS for a visa application until three months before the course start date. The CAS will be sent electronically via email or an in-tray message in your applicant portal depending on how you requested it. It will also be available in your MySIS portal.

The CAS Request Process


Verification of CAS details before we issue a CAS

As part of the CAS request and issuing process, you will be asked to verify your CAS details via MySIS before the CAS number is issued. It is very important that you check the details carefully and let us know if any changes are required before we issue the CAS. 

IMPORTANT - we may not be able to change or update the details included in your CAS once it has been issued. If there are any errors, you are at risk of having your visa application refused.

Latest Dates for CAS Issue

Type of CourseLatest CAS Issue DateLatest Enrolment DateLatest Arrival Date
September start courses 8 January 2021 2nd October 2020 5 February 2021
Courses starting on 4 January 11 December 2020 25 January 2021 5 February 2021
Courses starting on 18 January 8 January 2021 5 February 2021 5 February 2021

If your course starts on a different date, we will calculate the latest date for issuing a CAS, but you should note that this is normally three weeks before the start of your course.

Individual exceptions may apply - if you are at all unsure, please contact your specialist Admissions team directly via email, the contact address for which will have been provided in earlier applicant email communications.


If you are required to pay a university fee deposit, please be aware that the CAS process can only begin once we have received a deposit payment.

Where applicable, any university fee deposit must have been completed, and the payment received by the University before we will issue a CAS. Students should ensure that necessary fee deposits are completed in a timely fashion before the latest CAS issue dates.

Full information on Queen Mary's fee deposit policy can be found here. If you wish to check that the deposit payment has been received, please contact the Finance Office directly.

Financial Requirements

When making your Tier 4 visa application, it is essential that you meet the UKVI financial requirements (please see the section titled 'Money' in our Tier 4 Policy Guidance). 80% of visa application refusals are caused by the applicant's failure to meet UKVI financial requirements. 

The general requirement is to show you have enough money to pay your 1st year course fees plus the required maintenance available in your bank account 28 days prior to making your visa application.

For immigration advice including information on the financial requirements of a Tier 4 visa application, you can contact a member of our Advice and Counselling team. 

University Fees

Any payments you have made towards your university fees will be stated on your CAS. For example, if you are applying for a visa to study a 1-year Master's course and:

  • Your fees are £16,500
  • You have paid the £2,000 deposit plus an extra £2,000 towards your fees

Then your CAS will state: "Course Fees for the Year: £16,500, Course Fees Paid so far: £4,000 and you must have £12,500 in your account for your university fees in addition to the funds for your living costs."


As well as the university fees you must be able to show the UKVI you have the required living costs of £1,265.00 for each month of your course for a maximum of 9 months.  Most students studying for longer than 9 months will need to show £11,385 for their living expenses.  Please see our funds guide to check.

Therefore, you must have a total of £11,385.00 for your living costs. (This figure relates to study in the academic year 2018/19 and is subject to change.)

A worked example of this using the above figures is shown below:

Balance of university fees to pay £12,500
Maintenance £11,385
Total you must show in your bank account 28 days prior to visa application £23,885

The 28-day rule

Any money you use for maintenance (university fees and living costs) must be in your account for a period of 28 consecutive days. During this 28-day period, the money in this account must not fall below the required amount for even one day. If it does fall below the requried amount, you will not meet the Home Office requirements and your visa application will be refused. 

Your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date of your visa application. 

If you make a course fee payment after you have been issued the CAS it is important that you let the CAS Admissions team know, so this can be reflected on your CAS. Please email with your application reference number, confirming the amount that has been paid. Once this has been verified with our Finance team, your CAS will be updated and you will be sent confirmation.

When making payments, it is important that you include your application reference number as a reference so our Finance team can link the payment to you. We will not include the £300 deposit payment for accommodation as this is a returnable deposit. 

We strongly recommend that you refer to the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, or read our Advice and Counselling page on Funds for your Tier 4 visa application before making your visa application. If your visa application is refused because you have failed to meet the UKVI Financial requirements, you will be required to pay additional costs to make a new visa application and the delay may mean that you cannot start your course on time. Please also refer to the section below, titled 'Visa Application Refusals' for further information.


The entry qualification is the academic qualification Queen Mary used to assess your university application and make an offer of study. The qualifications will be listed on your CAS and should contain the correct academic title, awarding body and year it was awarded.

You must present your qualifications as listed on your CAS as part of your visa application.

A certificate must show:

  • Your full name
  • Title of award
  • Date of award
  • Name of the awarding institution 

A transcript must show: 

  • Your full name
  • Course title
  • Confirmation of the award
  • Name of the academic institution 


If your documents are not in English or Welsh, you will need to submit translations of these documents. For further information, please see the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.


If your course requires Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance, we will not issue a CAS until we have received a copy of the ATAS certificate.

ATAS applications do not cost anything and can be made from 9 months before the course start date. Your visa application will be refused if an ATAS certificate is requried and not submitted. Information about which courses require ATAS clearance can be found on the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Course Finders respectively.

Tuberculosis (TB) Test

You will be required to have a Tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK for more than six months and are resident in any of these listed countries. If you fail to submit a required TB test with a Tier 4 visa application, it will be refused. 

You will not require a TB test if any of the following apply: 

  • You are a diplomat accredited to the UK.
  • You are a returning UK resident and have not been away for more than two years.
  • You have lived for at least six months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you have been away from that country for no more than six months.  In this case, please refer to the guidance from our Advice and Counselling Service.

Visa Application Refusals

If your visa application is refused by UKVI you should send a full copy of the refusal letter from the UKVI to It is essential that you read this section as it includes important information. 

If your visa is refused, the Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service has a guide titled 'Tier 4 - what to do if things go wrong'. If you understand the grounds for the refusal, which are explained in the refusal notice, the guide includes detailed information about what options may be available to you now, and important information about deadlines you will need to be aware of. 

If after reading the guide you need further advice about your situation, you can contact the Advice and Counselling Service with your specific questions or concern. 

We will only issue a second CAS once you have supplied proof that you have all the relevant documents and financial evidence in place to submit a valid visa application. This will include bank statements / financial letters, qualification documents, TB certificates (if required) and any other information which is relevant to the reasons for the refusal. Please do not contact us until you have all the documents in place to request a second CAS. 

Queen Mary will not issue you a third CAS if you receive two visa application refusals. We reserve the right not to issue a second CAS if we believe the second application is likely to be refused.

Studying a second Masters

If you are accepted to study a second Master in the UK and require a CAS to make a Tier 4 visa application, you have two options:

  1. If you wish to make the visa application in the UK, we will require an official letter from your current institution (a scanned colour copy on headed paper) confirming you are expected to complete the course successfully and provide an indication of the qualification award date. We must have received this before issuing a CAS. Failure to pass the previous course will result in Queen Mary withdrawing sponsorship of your visa to comply with UKVI rules. 
  2. You can return home to make the visa application and this will be indicated on the CAS. We will require evidence that you have returned home in the form of airline tickets / boarding passes or entry stamps before issuing a CAS.

CAS for Pre-Sessional English Courses

Please note we are not issuing CAS statements for our Pre-Sessional English courses in 2020 as these will all be held online. 

Still Unsure?

If you are at all unsure, or have any outstanding queries or concerns not answered above, please contact your specialist Admissions team directly via email, the contact address for which will have been communicated to you in emails sent to you throughout the application process.