International Foundation Year
Taught by Queen Mary academics at our Mile End and Whitechapel campuses, the International Foundation Year offers progression onto more than 100 bachelors degree programmes.
Our pathways offer International and EU students subject-specific preparation for undergraduate degree study at Queen Mary University of London and other UK universities. When you successfully complete the foundation year, you will progress onto one of more than 100 undergraduate degrees.
Click here to download our International Pathways Brochure 2021 [PDF 1,237KB]
Select your subject area below to find out more and submit your application.
Humanities and Social Sciences
We accept a wide-range of qualifications for entry onto the International Foundation Year. The grades you need to enter the IFY will vary depending on what qualifications you have completed, and the pathway you wish to study.
Students will also need to meet minimum English language requirements.
For the IFY in Medicine, please refer to the entry requirements here.
Teaching and Learning
One of the benefits of the International Foundation Year is that you will receive teaching from award winning Queen Mary academics.
You'll receive approximately 15 to 28 hours of weekly contact time, in the form of lectures and seminars. You will be encouraged to contribute to seminars through pair work, group work, discussion, presentation and case studies. We use a mixture of teaching styles – lectures, tutorials, classroom activities and laboratory work for students on the Science and Engineering route.
You will also complete a further 20 to 25 hours of independent study each week.
Assessment typically includes a combination of coursework (writing tests, reports, presentations, seminar skills, portfolios) and/or examination.
Your English Language and Academic Study Skills classes will be delivered by the multiple award-winning School of Languages, Linguistics and Film, who were recognised in 2019 with the Queen Mary Educational Excellence Award and Principals Award for their teaching excellence.
Why choose QMUL?
- Your foundation programme is fully integrated with the University, meaning you will be taught on campus by Queen Mary University of London lecturers;
- If you meet the progression requirements, you are guaranteed access to undergraduate degree programmes at Queen Mary;
- You are guaranteed accommodation on campus if you apply before the 31st of May;
- The IFY at Queen Mary is well respected and widely accepted by institutions throughout the UK and overseas;
- Standards of teaching and support are excellent, and regularly receive praise from external examiners;
- You can choose between a standalone, one-year foundation, or an integrated, four-year foundation plus Bachelor's programme.
- You will receive a high level of support throughout your foundation year from both academic tutors and from university support staff;
- You will have full access to campus facilities including the library, careers service, and sports facilities;
- You will also have full access to University of London facilities including Senate House Library and Student Central;
- Many of our pathways have both September and January start dates.