Skip to main content
Advice and Counselling Service

Childhood abuse


Child abuse is the term used when an adult harms a child or a young person under the age of 18. Child abuse can take four forms, all of which can cause long lasting distress: physical abuse, emotional abuse, neglect and sexual abuse. Bullying and domestic violence are also forms of child abuse.  

Memories of abuse in childhood can be frightening and difficult to manage, often leaving people feeling a deep sense of shame and confusion. Some adults abused in childhood can struggle with low self-esteem or even feel intense self-hatred and they may be self-destructive. Speaking to someone in confidence can be helpful in beginning to come to terms with painful experiences.  

Ways to support yourself 

  • If you have been affected by abuse, you can talk to a counsellor for support. Contact us to make an appointment.   
  • If you want to take practical action such as contacting the police, you may find it helpful to read the information on Victim Support’s website. Their ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advocates) services can support you to decide what action you want to take and help you through the process.  
  • You may also want to read more on the subject, talk to others who have experienced abuse, or speak with an organisation who offer specialist advice. We have listed our recommendations for further support below.  

Specialist organisations 

NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood) offers a freephone support line offering advice and information to survivors of any kind of childhood abuse, andabuse and have an online survivors forum in which you can take part in anonymously.  

NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) runs a child protection helpline for anyone worrying about a child. Their website has useful information about child abuse including definitions, how to recognise the signs of abuse in children, advice for adult survivors and for parents. 

Survivors UK offers counselling, advice and support to men who have been raped or sexually abused as adults or in childhood. They can also direct callers to counsellors and support groups in their local area. 

Back to top