Research degrees at the Blizard Institute
The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry was placed within the top seven UK institutions in all Units of Assessment – Clinical Medicine; Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care; and Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy- during REF 2014.
The Blizard Institute is the largest institute of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and aims to deliver excellence in all aspects of research, teaching and clinical service. There are currently around 140 PhD students studying at the Blizard Institute from 23 different countries. The Institute is based on the Whitechapel campus, aligned to The Royal London Hospital and the Dental Hospital.
The specific aims of the Institute are:
- Provision of a world class biomedical research environment which integrates basic science, clinical research and translational research activity
- Development of innovative, interdisciplinary and cutting edge programmes of internationally competitive research
- Provision of the intellectual environment and physical facilities for high quality training of junior research staff and students
- Development of partnerships with neighbouring NHS Trusts and local communities to address the health needs of our local population
The Institute is made of the following centres:
- Centre for Cell Biology and Cutaneous Research
- Centre for Genomics and Child Health
- Centre for Immunobiology
- Centre for Neuroscience, Surgery and Trauma
If your interests lie within one of these areas, please click on the appropriate link to find out further details and see the list of academics working within each centre. When reaching out to a prospective supervisor via email please include your CV and details of any funding you are planning on applying for to pay for your research.