Key Dates and Deadlines
You can apply online for all our Postgraduate Research programmes (doctorate or PhD). This page outlines the key dates and deadlines for both Home/ European and International students applying to Queen Mary University of London.
Most PhD programmes at Queen Mary start in September-October or January each year. Enrolment at different points in the year may be possible, for example, where funding for a specific project starts mid-year. A small number of students start their programmes in late Spring (April/May).
If a non-standard start date is approved, please note that enrolment must be completed within two weeks of the programme start date.
Any applicant who is not a European Economic Area or Swiss national, applying for a Postgraduate Research course, may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) security certificate.
If you require an ATAS security certificate, you will need to obtain your ATAS certificate, before requesting a CAS. Queen Mary University of London will not issue a CAS until your ATAS certificate has been obtained. Applicants should note, during busy periods, it can take up to six weeks to receive your ATAS security certificate.
Friday 4 December 2020 - Deadline for School of Law studentships
Wednesday 20 January 2021 - Deadline for studentships with the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)
Wednesday 27 January 2021 - Deadline for studentships within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (S&E) and for all China Scholarship Council applicants
Further information on Queen Mary Research Studentships can be found on our dedicated webpages.
September 2021 Entry
- Monday 5 October 2020 - Applicants for postgraduate research programmes for entry in September 2021 open
- Wednesday 11 November 2020 - PhD Online Event
- Monday 21 December 2020 - Monday 4 January 2021 - University Christmas Closure. Online applications may be submitted during this period. We will endeavour to respond to applicant enquiries and process newly submitted applications as soon as possible upon reopening in January.
- March 2021 - Accommodation applications open. For further information, please visit our Accommodation pages.
- Wednesday 30 June 2021 - Deadline for accommodation applications
- Monday 19 July 2021 - ATAS deadline. Advised deadline for postgraduate overseas students who will require an ATAS certificate.
- Monday 4 October 2021 - Provisional latest enrolment deadline. Any students joing Queen Mary University must have enrolled by this date/ The confirmed latest date of enrolment will be published by January 2021
- Friday 8 October 2021 - Deferral deadline. If you would like to defer your place, please inform the Postgraduate Admissions team by this deadline.