Key Dates and Deadlines
You can apply online for all our Postgraduate Research programmes (doctorate or PhD). This page outlines the key dates and deadlines for both Home/ European and International students applying to Queen Mary University of London.
Most PhD programmes at Queen Mary start in September-October or January each year. Enrolment at different points in the year may be possible, for example, where funding for a specific project starts mid-year. A small number of students start their programmes in late Spring (April/May).
If a non-standard start date is approved, please note that enrolment must be completed within two weeks of the programme start date.
Any applicant who is not a European Economic Area or Swiss national, applying for a Postgraduate Research course, may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) security certificate.
If you require an ATAS security certificate, you will need to obtain your ATAS certificate, before requesting a CAS. Queen Mary University of London will not issue a CAS until your ATAS certificate has been obtained. Applicants should note, during busy periods, it can take up to six weeks to receive your ATAS security certificate.
Friday 4 December 2020 - Deadline for School of Law studentships
Wednesday 20 January 2021 - Deadline for studentships with the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)
Wednesday 27 January 2021 - Deadline for studentships within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (S&E) and for all China Scholarship Council applicants
Further information on Queen Mary Research Studentships can be found on our dedicated webpages.
Arrival on campus in the UK
All research students (PhD, MD(Res), EngD or MPhil) students are encouraged to join us on campus at the beginning of Semester 1. The latest date to complete online enrolment for your programme is Friday 8 October 2021.
We encourage you to travel to the UK as soon as you can do so. There are huge benefits to attending our campus and you should make every effort to join us in person to make the most of your educational, social, and cultural experience at QMUL, in London and in the UK.
My programme started in September 2021 and I am unable to travel to the UK by 8th October 2021. What should I do?
If your programme started in September 2021, and you are a home student or an international student in the UK you must complete online enrolment on your programme by 8 October 2021.
If you are an international research student and it is not possible to travel to the UK due to Covid-19 related travel restrictions and visa and/or ATAS application delays you may request to defer your programme start date or to start your studies online.
The latest date of arrival in the UK is 7 February 2022 for new and continuing international research students unless programme requirements necessitate an earlier arrival on campus.
International students should discuss with their supervisor and school/institute whether they can commence studies online (considering funding terms and conditions, access required to research resources and training requirements) and aim to arrive in the UK as soon as is feasible.
As enrolment is being completed online, all PGR students will be enrolled if they have not been in contact with Admissions or their department and the Research Degrees Office to defer their start date. Enrolment on a PGR programme is the formal start of a student’s programme and sets their programme end date and thesis submission deadline.
If you have already requested a CAS or will be applying for a CAS to arrive after 7th February 2022, this will be updated to reflect the approved date.
September 2021 Entry
- Monday 5 October 2020 - Applicants for postgraduate research programmes for entry in September 2021 open
- Wednesday 11 November 2020 - PhD Online Event
- Monday 21 December 2020 - Monday 4 January 2021 - University Christmas Closure. Online applications may be submitted during this period. We will endeavour to respond to applicant enquiries and process newly submitted applications as soon as possible upon reopening in January.
- March 2021 - Accommodation applications open. For further information, please visit our Accommodation pages.
- Wednesday 30 June 2021 - Deadline for accommodation applications
- Monday 19 July 2021 - ATAS deadline. Advised deadline for postgraduate overseas students who will require an ATAS certificate.
- Friday 8 October 2021 - Latest enrolment deadline. Any students joing Queen Mary University must have enrolled by this date. Extensions beyond this date may be agreed on a case by case basis, subject to the discretion of the academic school.
- Friday 8 October 2021 - Deferral deadline. If you would like to defer your place, please inform the Postgraduate Admissions team by this deadline.