Skip to main content
School of Law

Fees and funding


You can either take out a Tuition Fee Loan (see Funding section below) to pay your fees or, if you are paying them yourself, you can pay in instalments.

You can also contact us using the following details:

Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 7676 or email:


Bear in mind that you will need to be resident in London for your PhD (fieldwork and other research visits notwithstanding). You should therefore factor the cost of living into your funding calculations.

Funding for PhD study is available from many different sources, including studentships. Typically, these provide funds towards living costs, as well as covering tuition fees.

Find out more information about the funding awards offered at the School of Law, under studentships.

You should also be aware that studentships attached to funded research projects may be advertised on an ad hoc basis. You should keep an eye on recruitment websites like and Find a PhD.

It is also worth looking at funding available from charities and other cultural institutions, like the Leverhulme Trust. For more information, see the Queen Mary's funding guide.

Bear in mind that you will need to coordinate your PhD application to Queen Mary with your application for a studentship. This will affect the deadline for your PhD application.

Other financial help on offer at Queen Mary

Queen Mary offers one-to-one specialist support on all financial and welfare issues through our Advice and Counselling Service, which you can access as soon as you have applied for a place with us.

Our Advice and Counselling Service also has lots of Student Advice Guides on all aspects of finance including:

Back to top