Skip to main content
International students

Frequently Asked Questions - International Students

If you are an international student, it is likely that you will have many questions about University in the UK. Below are some of the questions which we regularly receive, along with our answers.

General Queries

Where is Queen Mary University of London?

Queen Mary has five campuses in London and others in Paris, Singapore, Greece and Malta.

The London campus locations are well connected to a range of public transport, including the London Underground system.


Can I come and visit the University before I start my course?

We have open days in June and October for prospective undergraduate students, where you will be able to take part in taster lectures, speak to University staff and students and view our facilities and campus accommodation.

We also organise campus tours of our Mile End campus that take place 3 times a week, throughout the year. Tours are led by Queen Mary student ambassadors, they last approximately one hour and take in most of the key university facilities.

We also have postgraduate open evenings that are typically in September, November and February but please check online for the latest information.

The International Office will be happy to accommodate visits throughout the year and can set aside time during your trip to Queen Mary to discuss your study options.


Are there any students from my country studying at Queen Mary?

Today, Queen Mary is home to students from 162 different countries. It is very likely there will be someone from your country already studying here.

Our Alumni Ambassador network is a key resource for prospective students to draw upon when making decisions about applying for our degrees and accepting offers to study at Queen Mary University of London, so feel free to contact the Ambassador from your country.


Do Queen Mary staff travel to my country during the year?

The International Office team regularly travel overseas to meet with students interested in studying with us and to answer any questions about your application. We are always pleased to meet prospective students and we very much hope you will be able to join us at one of these events.

You can visit our Meet us overseas webpages to find out when we will next be visiting your country.


Where do I find out more information specifically about students from my country/region?

The following link is a list of countries/regions for which we have published admissions information online. If you cannot find your country or region listed below, please refer to our general information for all countries. Alternatively, you can contact us directly.


How do I apply?

For undergraduate entry, international students can apply to the University either through UCAS.

For postgraduate entry, you can apply directly online through the Queen Mary website. To locate the correct online application form, you can choose your programme from the taught programme finder.

For PhD programmes please visit our Postgraduate Research pages where funded projects are advertised.

Students applying to a Foundation programme or the Pre-Masters may apply for direct entry through the website.


How long will it take to receive my offer?

We process applications as quickly as possible but an offer may take up to 4 weeks during peak periods. Some decisions can take longer depending on the course and point of application. If you are applying for one of the subjects in Medicine, Dentistry or Law then the decision may take longer due to the additional checks carried out by the admissions team and academic selectors.


I can't attend this year, can I defer my offer?

If you would like to defer your offer, you will need to email the appropriate admissions team address which will be found in your original offer letter. This will be processed from September. In your deferral request, you must state your full name, the name of your chosen course and application ID number.  Typically we can only defer a student’s place for one year.


What documents will I need to include with my application?

The checklist below outlines some of the types of documentation you may need to provide with your application:

  • Copy of passport/visa (if available)
  • Academic transcript
  • Certificate of graduation
  • Certificate of English proficiency – IELTS/ TOEFL / PTE Test / Appropriate Alternative
  • Personal statement
  • Reference letters, or details of named referee
  • CV (if applicable)

Please note, not every document may be required in your particular case.


Can I make an application without all of the required documents?

You can still apply even if you haven't yet received your final transcript or your Certificate of English proficiency. You will receive a conditional offer which will state what qualifications and grades you will need to achieve in order to meet our entry requirements. Once you have received evidence of obtaining your qualifications you can upload them to our MySIS Applicant portal after which you will receive an unconditional offer once all conditions have been met.

Some postgraduate programmes may require applicants to have submitted their Reference letters before a decision has been made.

CAS and visa

Will the university help with my visa application?

Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary are regulated under OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) guidelines to give immigration advice. The Advice and Counselling pages will also provide step by step guides to help you successfully obtain your visa.


Can I work whilst I study?

Most students entering the UK on a Tier 4 student visa are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time.

If your visa includes the words 'work and any changes must be authorised' then as outlined above you are able to work without seeking any further permission.

Please note that if you are studying on a course classed as below degree level, which includes our International Foundation and English Language courses then you are only permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week.


How do I get a part-time job?

There are hundreds of part-time jobs and work experience opportunities for students and graduates in London. There are plenty of opportunities to work on campus, with students taking up part-time work in the Student Union, Library, the Gym, or one of the many coffee shops.

The Queen Mary careers and work placement team will provide guidance about finding employment and the Advice and Counselling team provide handy tips on how to get a part-time job.


Can I remain in the UK to work after I graduate?

Yes. There are various categories under which a student can apply to remain in the UK to work after their studies. There is more information about working after your studies on the Advice and Counselling webpages.


Do I require an ATAS certificate?

A student who is not a European Economic Area or Swiss national, who is studying a postgraduate qualification in certain subject areas, are required to have an ATAS security clearance certificate before starting the course. This includes certain undergraduate degrees that result in a postgraduate qualification, such as a MEng or MSci degree.

Course information

What are the English language requirements?

All applicants to Queen Mary programmes must meet a minimum academic English language entry requirement for admission and to be successful on the course.

Most students will take a UKVI-approved IELTS test but for Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes, you may produce an alternative English qualification.


I have not met the English language requirement. What are my options?

If you do not meet the English requirement then you can study on the Queen Mary's Summer Pre-Sessional programme. The preparatory courses run for 13 weeks, 9 weeks or 5 weeks. They are designed to develop your English language and academic study skills and prepare you for your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University. Students who wish to be considered for the Pre-sessional English courses must have a UKVI-approved IELTS test. Alternative English language qualifications will not be accepted.


I do not meet the academic requirement for direct entry to either undergraduate or postgraduate programmes. What are the alternatives?

The International Foundation is a programme designed to prepare you for entry to Year One of an undergraduate course at Queen Mary. The programme is designed for international students who want to apply for an undergraduate course but don’t meet the English language or academic entry requirements.  We have Foundation programmes providing entry to all of our degree programmes other than Medicine MBBS and Dentistry BDS.

For those who already have a University degree but fall short of our direct entry requirements, the Pre-Masters is designed to improve their English Language ability and develop research, academic writing and presentation skills ahead enrolling on a Queen Mary taught masters degree.


How do I apply for accommodation?

The University offers a range of accommodation options both on and off campus for international students. Once you have accepted your offer of study the Admissions team will send you an email with a link to the online housing application.


Will I be guaranteed accommodation in my first year of study?

We guarantee accommodation to all new first-year Undergraduate international students that have firmly accepted their offer. Students must have applied for University accommodation by May 31st.

Postgraduates are entitled to apply for accommodation but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that everyone will have a room.


Can I live off-campus?

Alternative private accommodation options are available for students who wish to live off-campus.


Do I need to live in University accommodation?

The very short answer is no. You are free to live wherever you wish whilst studying at Queen Mary.


When can I apply for accommodation?

After you accept your place to study at Queen Mary University of London, the Admissions Office (not Housing Services) will send you an email containing your unique username, password and a link to the online housing application.


When will I be told if my application for University accommodation has been successful?

Room allocations for successful applicants are made during the period July to September. If you are successful in obtaining a place in halls, you will be sent an email giving you instructions on how to view and accept this offer via the online accommodation system.

You must ensure that you accept the offer of University accommodation, and pay the deposit to confirm the booking by the deadline date stated in your accommodation offer – missed deadlines may result in the offer being cancelled.

Fees and funding

Will I pay home or overseas tuition fees? What is my fee status?

Home' fees are charged to UK and EU nationals and ‘overseas’ fees are charged to international students.

When you apply to study at QMUL, the Admissions office will use information that you provide with your application to make an assessment of your fee status.

The General Terms and Conditions contain more details about the process of assessing a student’s fee status.

If you believe your fee status has been assessed incorrectly, you should request a review from the Admissions Office, by e-mail to Reviews will normally only be undertaken if the additional relevant information is provided.


What scholarships are available at Queen Mary?

We have a wide range of opportunities with different eligibility criteria and application routes for Undergraduates, Masters and PhD students. Most scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit; some are issued automatically upon exam results and others require a separate application.

Search our interactive database to find out what scholarships are on offer.

Please note, most of the full international scholarships have very early deadlines. You should start to look for scholarships 1 year before you intend to start the course.


What are the tuition fees?

The tuition fees vary depending on the course you study. To confirm what fees you the fees you must pay, search on the course finder and check the Fees and Funding tab.


Do I need to pay a deposit?

If you are an overseas fee payer who will be joining any taught postgraduate (masters) course or a foundation course, you will be required to pay a deposit of £2,000 towards your tuition fee, in order to secure your place at Queen Mary University of London.

If you are coming to study on a full scholarship then you will not need to pay a deposit. Please email your financial guarantee letter to and ask for your deposit to be by-passed. If it is an official letter from an approved sponsor then you will not need to pay the deposit.


What is the refund procedure?

If you have made a payment of fees in advance this will be refunded in full if you fail to get a student visa. No refund will be made if you fail to attend at the start of the programme or withdraw after you have enrolled. Details of refunds can be found in our University Fee Regulations 2018-19.


When do I pay my fees?

Queen Mary will send you an invoice in August, which will represent the charge for the full academic year you are enrolled on.

International students paying overseas fees have the options of paying either all of their fees before enrolment or in two instalments. Typically a student will pay 50% before, or at enrolment, and then pay the remaining 50% by the 31st January (for programmes starting in September).


Will I receive a discount for early payment?

Overseas students will receive a 1% discount if they pay their fees in full before or at enrolment. Where the student has been awarded a scholarship towards university fees by QMUL, the 1% discount will be applied to the balance due after the scholarship is deducted.