Professor Ania Korszun, PhD, MD, FRCPsych
Professor of Psychiatry and Education, Centre Lead for Centre of Psychiatry and Mental Health
More recently, I have been working in collaboration with colleagues from surgery and oncology on predictors of psychological wellbeing in cancer patients and, in particular, psychosocial factors associated with impact of cancer and quality of life in long-term cancer survivors and is a co-investigator on the NIHR SURECAN (Survivors Rehabilitation Evaluation after Cancer) project and HEAL (Health Engagement to Avoid interpersonal violent injury in young Londoners). Another project focuses on the shared genetic architecture of modifiable risk for dementia and its influence on brain health.
I maintain a strong commitment to medical education as Academic Lead for Psychiatry Education, Systems Lead for Brain and Behaviour and Co-Lead for the Medical Professionalism curriculum (MEDPRO) at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary. As well as working on developing e-learning resources to improve mental health education I am conducting research on undergraduate teaching and assessment of medical professionalism.
I have led a large multidisciplinary project focusing on overcoming stigmatizing attitudes to mental health. Currently, in collaboration with colleagues from other institutions and universities, I am conducting several studies on wellbeing and mental health in medical students to improve future support for students and doctors.
- Mood disorders and stress related disorders
- Quality of Life in Cancer and Trauma survivors
- Medical Education
Please click through to see a complete list of Ania's publications
- Leung HTT, Ajaz A, Bruce H, Korszun A. Teaching psychiatry to medical students in the time of COVID-19: experiences from UK medical schools. BJPsych Bull. 2021 Jul 27:1-10.
- Moschopoulou E, Hutchison I, Bhui K, Korszun A. Post-traumatic stress in head and neck cancer survivors and their partners. Support Care Cancer. 2018 Sep;26(9):3003-3011.
- Moschopoulou E, Deane J, Duncan M, Ismail SA, Moriarty S, Sarker SJ, White P, Korszun A. Measuring quality of life in people living with and beyond cancer in the UK. Support Care Cancer. 2021 Oct;29(10):6031-6038.
- Moschopoulou E, Hutchison I, Bhui K, Korszun A. The impact of cancer and quality of life in head and neck cancer long-term survivors in the UK. Psycho-Oncology 27,3.
- Dimitrov L, Moschopoulou E, Korszun A. Interventions for the treatment of cancer-related traumatic stress symptoms: A systematic review of the literature. Psycho-Oncology vol.28, (5) 970.
- Rahtz E, Bhui K, Smuk M, Hutchison I, Korszun A. Violent injury predicts poor psychological outcomes after traumatic injury in a hard-to-reach population: an observational cohort study. BMJ Open. 2017 May 30;7(5):e014712.
Isabelle Francesca Foote, George Henry Woolfe Legacy Fund, 'The shared genetic architecture of modifiable risk for dementia and its influence on brain health.'