Dr Elena Calciolari, DDS, MS(Perio), PhD
Clinical Senior Lecturer in Translational Dental Medicine
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 3134Room Number: Office 4, Floor 4, Institute of Dentistry
Dr Calciolari graduated in Dentistry at the University of Parma in 2010 and completed a Master in Periodontology at the University of Siena in 2012. In 2012 she won a 3-year scholarship from the Italian Society of Periodontology, which supported her PhD on bone regeneration at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute of London under the supervision of Professor Nikos Donos and Dr Nikos Mardas.
In 2015 she joined Queen Mary University of London as a research fellow first and then she became a part-time clinical lecturer in Periodontology in 2017.
Dr Calciolari is involved in teaching activities both with undergraduates and post-graduates at QMUL. In particular, she delivers lectures on periodontal anatomy, oral health and oral hygiene, management of gingivitis and periodontitis, patient-based outcomes and supportive periodontal therapy, as well as on the use of biomaterials for bone and periodontal regeneration to undergraduates. She also delivers lectures, seminars and hands-on for DCLinDent and MSc students in Periodontology.
She is a PhD supervisor and a tutor of several DCLinDent students. In particular, she delivers lectures on research methodology and systematic reviews, pre-clinical models of periodontal and bone regeneration, biomaterials for bone and periodontal regeneration, use of host modulators and use of salivary and gingival crevicular fluid markers
Dr Calciolari’s main research interests are bone regeneration and the effect of systemic diseases on the oral cavity. In particular, she is interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms and signalling pathways behind osseous regeneration and how to target them to enhance clinical outcomes also in systemically compromised patients. She is currently involved in several pre-clinical and clinical studies in the field of periodontology, implant dentistry and regenerative medicine.
Dr Calciolari’s contribution to the dental field has already been recognized by the Italian Society of Periodontology, which awarded her with the 2014 Goldman award for clinical research and by the Alpha Omega London Chapter and Charitable Trust, that offered her the 2014 John Zamet prize. In 2017 she has been awarded the prestigious L’Oréal-UNESCO for women in science award, being the first Italian dentist to receive it. In 2018 she also received the IADR Women in Science Distinguished Research Award.
1. Calciolari E, Mardas N, Dereka X, Anagnostopoulos AK, Tsangaris GT, Donos N. Protein expression during early stages of bone regeneration under hydrophobic and hydrophilic titanium domes. A pilot study. J Periodontal Res (2018); 53(2): 174-187
3. Retzepi M, Calciolari E, Wall I, Lewis MP, Donos N. The effect of experimental diabetes and glycaemic control on guided bone regeneration: histology and gene expression analyses. Clin Oral Imp. Res. (2018); 29(2): 139-154
4. Calciolari E, Donos N. The use of omics profiling to improve outcomes of bone regeneration and osseointegration. How far are we from personalized medicine in dentistry? J Proteomics (2018); 30(188): 85-96
5. Calciolari E, Ravanetti F, Strange A, Mardas N, Bozec L, Cacchioli A, Kostomitsopoulos N, Donos N. Degradation pattern of a porcine collagen membrane in an in vivo model of guided bone regeneration. J Periodontal Res (2018); 53(3): 430-439
6. Calciolari E, Hamlet S, Ivanovski S, Donos N. Pro-osteogenic properties of hydrophilic and hydrophobic titanium surfaces. Crosstalk between signalling pathways in in vivo models. J Periodontal Res (2018); 53(4): 598-609
7. Dereka X, Calciolari E, Donos N, Mardas N. Osseointegration in osteoporotic-like condition. A systematic review of preclinical studies. J Periodontal Res (2018); 53(6): 933-940
8. Corbella S, Alberti A, Calciolari E, Taschieri S, Francetti L. Enamel matrix derivative for the treatment of partially contained intrabony defects: 12-month results. Aust Dent J (2019); 64(1):27-34
9. Rakmanee T, Calciolari E, Olsen I, Darbar U, Griffiths GS, Petrie A, Donos N. Expression of growth mediators in the gingival crevicular fluid of patients with aggressive periodontitis undergoing periodontal surgery. Clin Oral Investigations (2019); 23(8): 3307-3318
10. Donos N, Horvath A, Calciolari E, Mardas N. Immediate provisionalization of bone level implants with a hydrophilic surface. A 5-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Clin Oral Imp. Res. (2019); 30(2): 139-149
11. Donos N, Dereka X, Calciolari E. The use of bioactive factors to enhance bone regeneration. A narrative review. Accepted for publication on J Clin Periodontology (2019); 46 (Suppl 21): 124-161
12. Sanz M, Dahlin C, Apatzidou D, Artzi Z, Bozic D, Calciolari E, De Bruyn H, Dommisch H, Donos N, Eickholz P, Wolfgang J, Ellingsen JE, Haugen H, Herrera D, Lambert F, Layrolle P, Montero E, Mustafa K, Omar O, Schliephake H. Biomaterials and regenerative technologies used in bone regeneration in the craniomaxillo-facial region. Consensus report of group 2 of the 15th European Workshop on Periodontology on bone regeneration. J Clin Periodontology (2019); 46(Suppl 21): 82-91
13. Donos N, Calciolari E, Brusselaers N, Goldoni M, Bostanci N, Belibasakis G. The adjunctive use of host modulators in non-surgical periodontal therapy. A systematic review of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical studies. J Clin Perioodntol (2020); 47(Suppl 22): 199-238
14. Calciolari E, Donos N. Proteomic and transcriptomic approaches for studying bone regeneration in health and systemically compromised conditions. Proteomics Clin Applic (2020); 14(3): e190084
15. Rivara F, Macaluso GM, Toffoli A, Calciolari E, Goldoni M, Lumetti S. The effect of a 2-mm inter-implant distance on esthetic outcomes in immediately non-occlusally loaded platform shifted implants in healed ridges: 12-month results of a randomized clinical trial. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res (2020); Jul 6 doi: 10.1111/cid.12926. [Online ahead of print.]
Full list of publications can be found at: