Skip to main content
Disability and Dyslexia Service

ADHD medication in the UK

Please see the following page on the NHS website for a list of medications currently licensed for the treatment of ADHD in the UK.

Access to medication for international students

Continuation of care letter

ADHD medication has to be prescribed by a psychiatrist in the UK. However, if you are coming from outside the UK and have an existing prescription, you may be able to request a continuation of care for your General Practitioner to be able to continue prescribing your medication. We advise that you request your home psychiatrist write a letter to request a continuation of care explaining your diagnosis and treatment.

Please note that some medications may not be available in the UK, difficult to get at short notice or only available through a private prescriber, so make sure you bring adequate supplies for at least a month of treatment.

If your GP is unable to provide continuation of care themselves, they will be able to refer you to the appropriate person. Therefore it is extremely important to register with a GP as soon as you arrive in London to ensure there are no delays in accessing medication.

If you are living at the Mile End campus, or in postcodes E1, E2, E3 or E14, you can register with the Student Health Service (SHS). If you do not live locally and either cannot register with the SHS or would like to register with an NHS GP surgery near to where you live, you can search for a GP Surgery online.

Bringing ADHD medication into the UK

As ADHD medication has ingredients that are considered controlled drugs, you will need to prove your medicine is prescribed to you. You may also need to get a licence if you are travelling for at least 3 months or carrying enough to last you that long. For further information please see the dedicated page on the website.

Back to top