Visiting Research Students
The visiting research student scheme is for doctoral research students who are pursuing studies at another institution, but who wish to be based in the Institute of Dentistry for part of their degree in order to undertake research. The minimum period of registration is two months and the maximum is one year.
Please allow up to four weeks for application to be processed, where possible you should give at least three months notice prior to application. All visiting students can only enrol on the 1st of the month.
|Fees for Visiting Research Students 2018-19|
|Band 1||£100 per month|
|Band 2 (for most lab or clinical projects)||£400 per month|
Fee waiver requests will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
How to apply
To apply, please complete an online application form here.
In addition to the application form, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts and certificates
- Two academic references
- Cover letter
- Detailed research proposal
- English language qualifications
You should clearly indicate your reasons for wishing to undertake research within the Institute of Dentistry in your application.
Visiting Research Students are registered by the university as Associate Students. You will have access to the same range of facilities as standard PhD students including:
- Institute of Dentistry resources and activities, including attendance at Institute of Dentistry training and research seminars
- QMUL library (Mile End and Whitechapel)
- Electronic resources
- Computer facilities, including wireless internet access
- Hot-desk space (at Mile End or Whitechapel depending on where your supervisor is based)
Visiting Research Students are not entitled to apply for funding for travel grants and conferences or studentships of any kind.