Professor Anwar Tappuni, LDSRCS, MRACDS (Oral Med), PhD, FHEA
Clnical Professor in Oral Medicine
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 8655Room Number: Office 7, Floor 4, Institute of Dentistry
- Honorary Professor, School of Dentistry, Saveetha University, Chennai, India, August 2017 – present
- Immediate Past President of the Oral Medicine and Pathology Group, International Association for Dental Research.
- President of the Oral Medicine and Pathology Group, British Society for Oral and Dental Research
- Chair of the Steering Committee for Oral Health and Disease in AIDS, 7th and 8th World Workshop.
- Trustee of the British Association for Sjögren’s Syndrome
- Member of the Medical Council of the British Sjögren’s Syndrome Association.
- Chair of the BMA/BDA Refugee Doctors and Dentists Liaison Group.
- Member of the BDA Reference Group for Dental Academic Staff
Academic Lead for Oral Medicine
Director of Doctorate for Clinical Dentistry in Oral Medicine
HEE Academic Supervisor for Clinical Lecturer Speciality Trainee in Oral Medicine
Severity scoring of oral mucosal diseases
- The global changing pattern of the oral manifestations of HIV. Tappuni AR, Oral Diseases; In press
- Oral health and HIV: What dental students need to know. Coulthard P, Tappuni AR, Ranauta. 2020; In press
- Pontarini E, Murray-Brown W, Croia C, Lucchesi D, ConwayJ, …. Tappuni A, PitzalisC, Bombardieri M. Unique expansion of IL-21+ Tfh and Tph cells under control of ICOS identifies Sjögren’s syndrome with ectopic germinal centres and MALT lymphoma. Annals of Rhuematic Disease. 2020; In press
- Jimenez-Royo P, Bombardieri M, Ciurtin C, Kostapanos M, Tappuni AR, …Tarzi R. Advanced imaging for quantification of abnormalities in the salivary glands of patients with primary Sjögren's Syndrome. Rheumatology. 2020; In press
- Davide Lucchesi, Rachel Coleby, Elena Pontarini, Edoardo Prediletto, Felice Rivellese, David G. Hill, Alicia Derrac Soria, Simon A. Jones, Ian R. Humphreys, Nurhan Sutcliffe, Anwar R. Tappuni, Costantino Pitzalis, Gareth W. Jones, and Michele Bombardieri,. Impaired IL-27 Mediated Control of CD4+ T Cell Function Impacts on Ectopic Lymphoid Structure Formation in Patients with Sjögren’s Syndrome. Arthritis and Rheumatology; April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.41289
- S. Grigoriadou, F. Chowdhury, E. Pontarini, A. Tappuni, S.J. Bowman, M. Bombardieri. B cell depletion with rituximab in the treatment of primary Sjögren's syndrome: what have we learnt?. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2019; 37 (Suppl. 118): S217-S224.
- Al‐Ezzi M, Khan K, Tappuni AR, Is the taste acuity affected by oral dryness in primary Sjögren’s syndrome patients? Oral Diseases 2020; In press. ODI-08-19-OM-7366.
- Sleibi A, Tappunia AR,.Karpukhina N, Hill RG, Baysan A. A comparative evaluation of ion release characteristics of three different dental varnishes containing fluoride either with CPP-ACP or bioactive glass. Dental Materials. 2019: In press
- Fisher BA, Everett CC, Rout J, O’Dwyer JL, Emery P, Pitzalis C, Ng W-F, Carr A, Pease CT, Price EJ, Sutcliffe N, Makdissi J, Tappuni AR, …Bombardieri M, Bowman SJ, Effect of rituximab on a salivary gland ultrasound score in primary Sjögren’s syndrome: results of the TRACTISS randomised double-blind multicentre substudy. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2018;77:412-416.
- Sleibi A, Tappuni AR, Davis GR, Anderson P, Baysan A. Comparison of efficacy of dental varnish containing fluoride either with CPP-ACP or bioglass on root caries: Ex vivo study. Journal of Dentistry. 2018; 73: 91-96
- Notarstefano C, Croia C, Pontarini E, Lucchesi D, Sutcliffe N, Tappuni A, Donati V, Pitzalis C, Baldini C, Bombardieri M. A clinical and histopathological analysis of the anti-centromere antibody positive subset of primary Sjögren’s syndrome. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology. 2018; 36: 0145-0149.
- El Howati A, Tappuni AR. Systematic review of the changing pattern of the oral manifestations of HIV. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. 2018. Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. 2018; e12351: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12351
- Baysan A, Mustafa AS, Tappuni A, Mills D, Davis GR. Comparison of Efficacy of Different Fluoride Varnishes on Dentin Remineralisation during a critical pH Exposure Using Quantitative X-ray Microtomography. Operative Dentistry 2018; 43 (6): E308–E316.
- Price E, Rauz S, Tappuni A, Sutcliffe N, Hackett KL, Barone F, Granata G, Ng W, Fisher BA, Bombardieri M, Astorri E, Empson B, Larkin G, Crampton B, Bowman S. BSR and BHPR Guideline for the Management of Adults with Primary Sjögren’s Syndrome. Executive Summary. Journal of Rheumatology. 2017; 56 (10): 1643-1647.
- Price E, Rauz S, Tappuni A, Sutcliffe N, Hackett KL, Barone F, Granata G, Ng W, Fisher BA, Bombardieri M, Astorri E, Empson B, Larkin G, Crampton B, Bowman S. BSR and BHPR Guideline for the Management of Adults with Primary Sjögren’s Syndrome. Journal of Rheumatology 2017; 56 (10): e24-e48.
- Fisher BA, Jonsson R, Daniels T, Bombardieri M, et al. Standardisation of Labial Salivary Gland Histopathology in Clinical Trials in Primary Sjögren's Syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76(7):1161-1168.
- Tappuni AR, Al-Kaabi R, Joury E. Effect of Free Sugars on Diabetes, Obesity, and Dental Caries. Letter to the editor. J Dent Res 2016; 96 (1): 116-116.
She is currently supervising two PhD projects; one investigating smell, taste and sexual function in Sjögren’s patients and the other is a double-blind placebo controlled trial of the efficacy of a dental varnish in treating root caries in dry mouth patients. She is also a co-investigator in two industry-funded clinical trials for treatment modalities for Sjögren’s Syndrome. PhD opportunities are available in the subjects of Sjögren’s syndrome and Oral manifestations of HIV.