Professor Paul Anderson, BSc PhD MInstP CPhys
Professor of Oral Biology
Centre: Oral Bioengineering
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5962 Room Number: Room 2:20:5, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Paul graduated from Leeds in Biophysics, then completed a PhD in Biophysics in relation to Dentistry at the London Hospital Medical College (now part of QMUL) supervised by Prof. Jim Elliott.
His research interests include X-ray microscopy, enamel and hydroxyapatite chemistry, and the bio-physical chemical effects of salivary proteins in dental hard tissue protection.
Paul has supervised 10 PhD students to completion, and has given invited research seminars in the Europe, US, Australia, New Zealand, Beijing, Hong Kong, Malaysia.
Paul is currently an associate editor of Caries Research, and Hon. asst. Secretary of BSODR.
Centre: Oral Bioengineering
In 2011 Paul started the UK’s first ever MSc in Oral Biology program in the UK, with now over 80 graduates. Several graduates have moved onto PhD programs at QM, and overseas.
Paul is currently chair of the Institute of Dentistry Dental Postgraduate Committee. He is also Secretary of the Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry.
My main research area is the chemistry of enamel and hydroxyapatite in the context of de and remineralisation of enamel. Recently, I have developed research into the influence of salivary proteins on these processes, to study their role in enamel homeostasis. I have developed novel X-ray absorption microscopies to assist with these studies, and have also used these technologies to study diffusion processes in enamel, and the efficacy of treatments for dental hypersensitivity. I have been sponsored by the MRC, EPSRC, Wellcome, as well as RAB, and QMUL grants. I currently have several PhD students, and a Postdoctoral research assistant.
- Elsharkawy S, Al-Jawad M, Pantano MF, Tejeda-Montes E, Mehta K, Jamal H, Agarwal S, Shuturminska K, Rice A, Tarakina NV, Wilson RM, Bushby AJ, Alonso M, Rodriguez-Cabello JC, Barbieri E, Del Río Hernández A, Stevens MM, Pugno NM, Anderson P, Mata A. Protein disorder-order interplay to guide the growth of hierarchical mineralized structures. Nat Commun. 2018 Jun 1;9(1):2145. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-04319-0. PubMed PMID: 29858566; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5984621.
- Sleibi A, Tappuni AR, Davis GR, Anderson P, Baysan A. Comparison of efficacy of dental varnish containing fluoride either with CPP-ACP or bioglass on root caries: Ex vivo study. J Dent. 2018 Jun;73:91-96. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2018.04.009. Epub 2018 Apr 16. PubMed PMID: 29673685.
- Davis GR, Mills D, Anderson P. Real-time observations of tooth demineralization in 3 dimensions using X-ray microtomography. J Dent. 2018 Feb;69:88-92. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2017.11.010. Epub 2017 Dec 2. PubMed PMID: 29198851.
- Hassanali L, Wong FS, Lynch RJM, Anderson P. A Novel Kinetic Method to Measure Apparent Solubility Product of Bulk Human Enamel. Front Physiol. 2017 Sep 21;8:714. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00714. eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 28983253; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5613155.
- Shuturminska K, Tarakina NV, Azevedo HS, Bushby AJ, Mata A, Anderson P, Al-Jawad M. Elastin-Like Protein, with Statherin Derived Peptide, Controls Fluorapatite Formation and Morphology. Front Physiol. 2017 Jun 8;8:368. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00368. eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 28642715; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5462913.