Dr John Buchanan, Hons BSc, BDS, MB BS, MSc in Med Ed, FDS (OM) RCPS Glasg, FDS RCS (Eng), MRCP(UK), FRCP Lond
Clinical Senior Lecturer in Oral Medicine, Honorary Clinical Consultant in Oral Medicine with Barts Health NHS Trust
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 2386Room Number: Office 15, Floor 4, Institute of Dentistry
John Buchanan is a Clinical Senior Lecturer / Honorary Consultant and Clinical Lead for Oral Medicine at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry / Barts and the London NHS Trust. He is also Lead for Quality Assurance in the Dental Institute, Lead for Quality Assurance for LDS, Deputy Lead for Quality Assurance for the Overseas Registration Examination.
He studied dentistry and medicine at the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guys and St Thomas' Hospitals, University of London. During his dental studies he additionally obtained an intercalated BSc in Anatomy and Basic Medical Sciences.
Prior to undertaking specialist training in Oral Medicine he obtained general medical experience and was awarded MRCP(UK) in 2001. He undertook specialist training in Oral Medicine at the Eastman Dental Hospital, London between 2002-2005. He was awarded FDS RCS Eng Ad eundem in 2010. He was elected FRCP London in 2014. In 2018 he completed an MSc in Medical Education at the Royal College of Physicians / University College London and acts as an invited teaching facilitator on the RCP’s Peer Support Network course. He is an External Examiner for Peninsula Dental School.
During the period 2013-18 John Buchanan was a Board Member on the Specialist Advisory Committee in the Additional Dental Specialties (SACADS) representing the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. Since demitting, he has continued to play an active role in Oral Medicine Specialist training in the United Kingdom and acts as an external representative on Oral Medicine Annual Review of Competency Progression panels. He is educational supervisor for an Oral Medicine trainee at Barts Health NHS Trust.
Centre: Centre for Teaching Innovation
In addition to his academic duties as Lead for Quality Assurance for the Dental Institute, John Buchanan is a passionate and enthusiastic clinical teacher and is closely involved in teaching and assessing Clinical Human Health and Disease, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology within the Undergraduate course and a number of Postgraduate programmes using large and small group teaching strategies as well as at the chairside within the Dental Institute of QMUL. Through his interest in assessment design and psychometrics he has been significantly involved in the development and delivery of the assessment portfolio in the Institute’s BDS programme. He is a member of QMUL Senate.
His current clinical research interests include the aetiology, epidemiology and management of immune-mediated mucocutaneous diseases and burning mouth syndrome. With regards to learning, teaching and assessment in medical and dental education, he is actively involved in research projects relating to peer observation of teaching, strategies for developing the teaching skills of part-time clinical educators, clinical curriculum development and delivery, quality assurance of high stakes clinical examinations, gender inequalities in clinical academic careers and barriers to career progression for clinical academics in medicine and dentistry
1. AGS Lumsden and JAG Buchanan. “An Experimental Study of Timing and Topography of Early Tooth Development in the Mouse Embryo with an Analysis of the Role of Innervation.” Arch. Oral Biol. 31 (5) 301-311. 1986
2. F Fortune and JAG Buchanan. “Oral Lichen Planus and Coeliac Disease.” Lancet. 341(8853); 1154-1155 (Letter), 1993
3. JAG Buchanan and F Fortune. “Delayed Diagnosis: Bilateral parotid enlargement as a presenting feature of bulimia nervosa in a post-adolescent male.” Postgraduate Medical Journal 70(819):27-30. 1995
4. JAG Buchanan, AS Hasan, L Churchill, F Fortune. “Atypical Palatal Ulceration.” Postgraduate Medical Journal. 71(831):55-56. 1995
5. JAG Buchanan, A Morris, F Fortune. “A mechanic who coughed up blood for 15 months.” 350(9070): July 5, 28. 1997
6. JAG Buchanan and JM Zakrzewska. “Sore mouths and itchy wrists.” Postgraduate Medical Journal 75(881):177-179, 1999
7.JAG Buchanan and JM Zakrzewska. “Burning Mouth Syndrome.” Clinical Evidence. 2: 505-509 and following issues to 14:1685-90 and concise versions. 1999-2006
8. H Thornhill, E.Theaker, J.A.G.Buchanan, M.Pemberton. “An Open Clinical Trial Of Sulphamethoxypyridazine in the Treatment Of Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.” British Journal of Dermatology. 143(1):117-26, 2000
9. McGivern, M.Pemberton, E.D.Theaker J.A.G.Buchanan and M.H.Thornhill. “Delayed and Immediate Hypersensitivity Reactions Associated with the use of Amalgam.” British Dental Journal. 188 (2) :73-76, 2000
10. JAG Buchanan. “Open wide: Oral Manifestations of HIV disease in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART).” J Infect. 42 ii-iv, 2001
11. C.H.Orteu, J.A.Buchanan, I.Hutchison, I.M. Leigh, R.H.Bull “Systemic lupus erythematosus presenting with oral mucosal lesions: Easily missed ?” British Journal of Dermatology. 144(6):1219-23, 2001
12. TA Hodgson, N Sahni, F Kaliakatsou, JAG Buchanan, SR Porter. “Longterm efficacy and safety of topical tacrolimus in the management of ulcerative/erosive oral lichen planus.” Eur J Dermatol 2003;13:466-70
13. T Powles, J Powles, M Nelson, A Sandison, D Peston, J Buchanan, S Mandalia, B Gazzard, M Bower. “Head and neck cancer in patients with human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection: incidence, outcome and association with Epstein-Barr virus.” J Laryngol Otol. 2004 Mar;118(3):207-12
14. TA Hodgson, JA Buchanan, SR Porter. ”Orofacial granulomatosis.” Letter in J Oral Pathol Med. 2004 Apr ;33(4):252.
15. TWJ Poate, JAG Buchanan, TA Hodgson, PM Speight, AW Barrett, DR Moles, C Scully,
SR Porter. A study of the efficacy of the oral brush biopsy technique in a specialist oral
medicine unit. Oral Oncology.2004;40:829-834.
16. SR Porter, T Poate, TA Hodgson, JA Buchanan, DR Moles, C Scully, P Speight, AR Barrett
Re: Eisen, D & Frist, S-Letter. Oral Oncol. 2005 Sep;41(8):861.
17. JA Buchanan, M Cedro, A Mirdin, T Joseph, SR Porter, TA Hodgson. Necrotizing
stomatitis in the developed world. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2006 May; 31(3):372-4.
18. Chaudhry SI, Buchanan JAG, Boulter A, Hodgson TA Porter SR. Fungiform papillary
glossitis: a 'new' diagnosis or a 'misdiagnosis'? Letter Br J Derm 2006; 155: 642-643
19. TA Hodgson, JAG Buchanan, SE Ilyas, A Garg and SR Porter “An audit of the UK national cancer referral guidelines for suspected oral mucosal malignancy. Br Dent J. 2006 Nov 25;201(10):643-7.
20. Bidarra M, Buchanan JA, Scully C, Moles DR, Porter SR. ‘Oral Lichen planus: a condition with more persistence and extraoral involvement than suspected?’J. Oral Pathol Med. 2008 Nov;37(10):582-6.
21. H Saunders , JAG Buchanan , S Cooper, K Hollowood, V Sherman, F Wojnarowska The period prevalence of oral lichen planus in a cohort of patients with vulvar lichen sclerosus.. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2010 Jan; 24(1):18-21. Epub 2009 Jun 8.
22. Buchanan JA, Zakrzewska JM.Burning mouth syndrome. Clin Evid (Online). 2010 ff Jul 19;2010. pii: 1301
23. Celebrating Twenty Years of European Oral Medicine: Excellence in Patient Care and Research. Abstracts of the 10th Biennial Conference of the European Association of Oral Medicine 23rd to 25th September, 2010, London United Kingdom. Eds John Buchanan, Richard Cook, Micheal Escudier, Tim Hodgson. Oral Diseases 2010. Volume 16 Sept 2010.
24. Mighell AJ, Atkin PA, Webster K, Thomas SJ, McCreary CE, Healy CM, Gibson J, Crighton AJ, Dawson LJ, Smalley JO, Allan RB, Oliver RJ, Pattrick MG, Pemberton MN, Theaker ED, Poate TW, Buchanan JA,Greenwood M, Bee D, Yates JM, Crean SJ, Napier SS. Clinical medical sciences for undergraduate dental students in the United Kingdom and Ireland - a curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ. 2011 Aug;15(3):179-88.
25. Buchanan J.Tongue protectors for use in burning mouth syndrome? Evid Based Dent.2012;13(2): 59- 60.
27. Mighell AJ, Freeman C, Atkin PA, Bennett JH, Buchanan JAG, Carrozzo M, Crighton AJ, Escudier MP, Gibson J, Healy CM, Hegarty AM, Kerr JS, McCreary CE, Pemberton MN, Rajlawat B, Richards A, Staines K, Theaker ED, Willis AOral Medicine for undergraduate dental students in the United Kingdom and Ireland - A curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ. 2018 Nov; 22(4):e661- e668. doi: 10.1111/eje.12366. Epub 2018 Jun 6
28. Buchanan JAG, Parry D. Engagement with peer observation of teaching by a dental school faculty in the United Kingdom.Eur J Dent Educ. 2019 Feb;23(1):42-53. doi: 10.1111/eje.12391. Epub 2018 Aug 31. PMID:30171662
Invited chapters and reviews:
1. M. Leigh, J.A.Buchanan, C.A.Harwood, R.Cerio, A.Storey. “Role of human papillomaviruses in cutaneous and oral manifestations of immunosuppression.” J. Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1999 Aug 1; 21 Suppl 1:S49-57
2. Irene M. Leigh, Judy A. Breuer, John A.G. Buchanan, Catherine A. Harwood, Sarah Jackson, Jane M. McGregor, Charlotte M. Proby and Alan Storey. “Human Papillomaviruses and Cancers of the Skin and Oral Mucosa.” In Infectious Causes of Cancer: Targets for Intervention. Ed James J.Goedert, Chapter 16: 289-309. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ 2000.
3. John Buchanan. “Atypical odontalgia”. In Dentin Hypersensitivity in Clinical Practice. Eds David Gillam and Bryar Koyi. Section 1, Case 6: 91-104. JP Medical Publishers 2019.
1. John Buchanan, Andrea Herman, Hank Schneider and Kithsiri A Withana. PLAB Part 1 EMQ
Pocket Book 3. Pastest.. First edition 2002.
2. Tim A Hodgson, John AG Buchanan and Roger C Davies. “Medical emergencies in dental practice: I A practical approach, II Chest pain, asthma and inhaled foreign bodies, III Anaphylactic, diabetic and adrenal emergencies.” Private Dentistry.2003; Vol 8 (8, 9, 10) 34-37,22-28, 28-34.
3. ‘Emergencies and First Aid’ Chapter 6 in Oxford Handbook of Dental Nursing. Edited by Elizabeth Boon, Rebecca Parr, Dayananda Samarawickrama, and Kevin Seymour. Oxford University Press. 424 pages 978-0-19-923590-2 July 2012