Careers and Enterprise provide regular workshops throughout the year that equip researchers with the essential skills needed to successfully navigate the transition to their next position and manage their career thereafter. The workshops generally last for 3 hours and include:
- making successful job applications (including application forms and CVs)
- interview skills
- career options for researchers (both academic and alternative careers)
- effective networking
All workshops take place in small groups of around 7 - 20 participants and involve audience participation and group activities.
The workshops generally take place in the Training Room (Room 0.15) of the SCAPE Building at Mile End unless otherwise stated. For a list of all Academic Development courses, including those run by the specialist Careers Consultants for researchers, visit www.cpdbookings.qmul.ac.uk
Tailored workshops for specific schools are available upon request subject to availability. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request such workshops.
The Careers department put on a range of events for PhD Students and Postdoctoral Researchers. These include:
- Careers alumni events called 'Doctoral Transitions' where Queen Mary PhD and Postdoctoral alumni give brief talks about their careers, followed by the opportunity to network informally with speakers.
- Employer-led events, where PhD employers talk about how to get into their sector and what skills they look for when hiring. Employers at previous events have included The Brilliant Club that arranges for PhD students to deliver tutorials in secondary schools, a patent law firm and a data science company. Other events have included employer workshops on developing commercial awareness and writing CVs.
- Café Scientifique events (hosted in collaboration with the Researcher Development team), where current PhD students talk about their research to non-specialist audiences. Volunteering to speak at these events is a great way to practise and develop your communication and public engagement skills.
These events are able to view and register for at www.cpdbookings.qmul.ac.uk. Subscribe to the Doctoral College blog for regular updates.
PhD students are also welcome at any of the Careers and Enterprise events in our central careers programmes, which can be viewed at: www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/events.