Clinical lead for CLL and medical advisor to CLL Support (patient charity)
- I have developed diagnostic tools for the diagnosis of blood cancers and the minimal residual disease measurement.
Clinical lead for infection. Invasive fungal disease (IFD) interests:
- Laboratory and clinical studies to improve the diagnosis of IFD in high-risk haematology patients.
- Developing clinical guidelines and integrated care pathways for managing IFD.
- Audit tools to aid AMS – the fungal audit tool for stewardship (F.A.T.s).
- Promoting best practice and highlighting new developments through educational meetings, eg, the Fungal Update meeting, the largest such meeting in the UK (www.fungalupdate.org).
- Member of the fungal guideline group of ECIL and an author of the ECIL-6 update.
- Member of the fungal subgroup of PHE ESPAUR.
- Antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) in Haemato-oncology patients. Piloting of the “FATs” AMS audit tool in 4 centres across the UK.
- Role of CD160 in CLL – novel binders for immunological and cellular therapies (patents pending)
Farren T, Sadanand K, Agrawal S. Highly Sensitive and Accurate Assessment of Minimal Residual Disease in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Using the Novel CD160-ROR1 Assay. Front Oncol. 2020 Dec 3;10:597730. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2020.597730. eCollection 2020.
Frederic Tissot, Samir Agrawal et al. ECIL-6 guidelines for the treatment of invasive candidiasis, aspergillosis and mucormycosis in leukemia and hematopoietic stem cell transplant patients. Haematologica 2016: Dec 23. pii: haematol.2016.152900
Timothy Farren, Jerome Giustiniani, Feng-Ting Liu, Samir Agrawal. Differential and tumour specific expression of CD160 in B-cell malignancies. Blood 2011 118: 2174-2183
Feng-Ting Liu, Jerome Giustiniani, Timothy Farren, Li Jia, Armand, Bensussan, John G Gribben and Samir G Agrawal. CD160 signaling mediates PI3K-dependent survival and growth signals in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. BLOOD, 2010;115(15):3079-88.
Agrawal S, Marquet J, Delfau-Larue MH, Copie-Bergman C, Jouault H, Reyes F, Bensussan A and Farcet JP. CD3 hyporesponsiveness and in vitro apoptosis are features of T cells from both malignant and non malignant secondary lymphoid organs. J Clin Invest; 102 : 1715 – 1723, 1998
Clinical fellow – implementation and development of the FATs online audit tool/database.