Centre of the Cell is a science education centre based inside the Blizard Institute. It is the first science education centre in the world to be located within working biomedical research laboratories.
Centre of the Cell is located inside the distinctive orange ‘Pod’ suspended above the laboratories of the Blizard Institute, so visitors can see research scientists at work as they enter the centre. Once inside, visitors learn about the amazing world of cells, the human body and the latest medical research.
The project has won a number of major awards including the Museums & Heritage Excellence Award for the Best Educational Initiative in the UK and the EngageU Award for the Best Innovations in University Outreach and Public Engagement in Europe.
Centre of the Cell is dedicated to inspiring curiosity and learning by connecting science to everyday life. It seeks to have a positive influence on the career, educational and personal health choices of children and young people.
Centre of the Cell’s aims are to:
- Inspire the next generation of scientists and healthcare professionals
- Stimulate interest, excitement and dialogue about biomedical research
- Raise aspirations, especially in our local community
- Promote learning within the family and community
- Improve lives of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Widen participation in further and higher education
- Improve health and wellbeing in our local communities
- Create a local, national and global centre of excellence in Public Engagement
You can find out more about the project and book a visit here: www.centreofthecell.org