Postdoctoral fellowship schemes
The School of Biological and Behavioural Sciences supports strong candidates from the UK and overseas in applying for research fellowships from external funders. We welcome applications from excellent candidates in research areas spanning our three departments: Biology, Biochemistry, and Psychology
What we offer
We offer a supportive and inclusive work environment with many opportunities for career development and are keen on nurturing and developing promising, internationally competitive early career researchers. We are a large and diverse school, with over 40 postdoctoral fellows at all stages of their careers. All early career researchers within the School are supported by a research mentor and will have access to a range of workshops and training programmes organised by the Centre for Academic and Professional Development in areas such as research project management, PhD supervision, creative thinking and research leadership and management. We are an ATHENA Swan Silver award holder, and a Living Wage employer.
There is a wide range of fellowships available from external funders, many of which are open to applicants of any nationality. We recommend contacting a member of academic staff who is undertaking research in the area of your interest in the first instance; alternatively, contact the relevant Head of Department who can advise you on next steps.
We offer support to the best candidates who apply for fellowship funding. In many cases, the academic staff member will work with you on developing your project and writing your application.
All proposals are subject to our internal peer review process before being submitted to external funders, to optimise your chance of success. Two academic members of staff will review and feedback on your proposal if your application makes it to this stage.
You should contact the relevant member of academic staff at least 20 working days before the funding deadline, to allow enough time for preparation and costing of the proposal.
Each fellowship has a different deadline and eligibility criteria. Please refer to the relevant websites for more information, listed below.
- Discovery Fellowship 2021 Closing date: 6 May 2021 16:00 UK time
- EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Schlumberger Foundation Call for Applications for the 2021-2022 Faculty for the Future Fellowships for women in STEM. Applications will be received online at www.fftf.slb.com until November 9th, 2020
- AXA Post-doctoral Fellowship
- BBSRC Future Leader Fellowship
- BBSRC David Philips Fellowship
- Commonwealth fellowships
- Daphne Jackson Fellowship
- EPSRC Fellowship
- ERC Starting Grants
- Global Challenges Research Fund
- Human Frontier Science Programme Long-term Fellowship
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship
- MRC Career Development Awards
- MRC Senior Non-Clinical Fellowship
- Newton International Fellowship
- NERC Independent Research Fellowship
- Ramsay Memorial Fellowship
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Research Fellowship
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship
- Wellcome International Training Fellowships