Our Widening Participation Travel Bursary aims to bring students who have specific characteristics, typically under-represented in higher education, on to campus. The bursary aims to help students make informed choices about their future by exploring the options available to them.
The bursary will provide train tickets to eligible participants, to and from mainline rail stations.
To be eligible for the Widening Participation Travel Bursary, you must:
- Attend a non-selective state school in the UK
- Have achieved, or be predicted to achieve, the required GCSE grades (a minimum of 5A* - C or 4 – 9 grades, with a C/4 in English and Maths)
- Be on target to achieve a minimum of BBB at A-level, or equivalent
In addition to the above, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, Free School Meals (evidence may be requested)
- Are estranged from your family/living independently/living with friends
- Participating in an eligible access programme (Realising Opportunities, Pathways to Law, Bridge the Gap, Access to Queen Mary)
Please note that we reserve the right to close applications early due to high demand, as the fund is limited. Eligible students will receive a train ticket in advance of the event.
How to apply
If you have already registered for the Queen Mary Open Day, please follow the below steps:
Step 1: Ensure you have registered for the event.
Step 2: Check your eligibility for the travel bursary, using the information provided above.
Step 3: Complete the online application form.
Step 4: Check your email for next steps. You will receive a confirmation within 10 working days.