Our Widening Participation Travel Bursary aims to bring students who have specific characteristics, typically under-represented in higher education, on to campus for our Open Days and access programmes. The bursary aims to help students make informed choices about their future by exploring the options available to them.
At our Open Days, you can discover your subject, find out more about the courses we offer, chat with our students and staff, take a campus tour, discover London and learn all about becoming a student with us.
The bursary will cover reasonable travel costs on public transport for qualifying individuals.
To be eligible for the Widening Participation Travel Bursary, you must:
- Attend a non-selective state school in the UK
- Have achieved, or be predicted to achieve, the required GCSE grades (a minimum of 5A* - C or 4 – 9 grades, with a C/4 in English and Maths)
- Be on target to achieve a minimum of BBB at A-level, or equivalent
In addition to the above, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Live in a qualifying neighbourhood*
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Are a young carer
- Are estranged from your family/living independently/living with friends
- Are taking part in an eligible access programme (Realising Opportunities, Pathways to Law, Bridge the Gap, Stepping Stones, Access to Queen Mary or Queen Mary Futures)
*Qualifying neighbourhoods are defined as:
- Living in an area of low participation in higher education, defined as POLAR4 quintiles 1 and 2 (check your POLAR4 quintile here), OR
- Living in an area of disadvantage, defined as IMD quintiles 1 and 2 (check your IMD quintile here)
If you're unsure of your neighbourhood status, we encourage you to submit an application so that we can assess on your behalf. All applications will be checked for eligibility.
If you have registered for an on-campus Open Day, please follow the steps below to apply:
Step 1: Ensure you have registered for an Open Day or eligible access programme
Step 2: Complete our online travel bursary application form
Step 3: Check your email for next steps. You will receive a confirmation within 7 working days.
- Please note, the fund is limited and so we reserve the right to close applications early should there be high demand
- Eligible students will be reimbursed by completing an expenses form which will be emailed to you shortly after attending the event.
- The Widening Participation Travel Bursary is available to eligible students only and will not be paid to accompanying guests.
- The Widening Participation Travel Bursary is payable upon attendance at the event. You must check-in on campus to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Expenses are typically reimbursed within six weeks of receipt and form submission, although at peak times this can be longer.
- The Widening Participation Travel Bursary is only eligible for standard class, public transport tickets.
- A copy of the original receipt and ticket must be submitted, alongside the completed expenses form, to be eligible for reimbursement.