Requirements for each PhD project vary but generally we are looking for applicants who hold, or expect to receive:
- A first-class honours degree in Mathematics or Statistics or the equivalent qualification from an overseas institution. If your qualifications are not from a UK university, QMUL also considers recognised equivalent qualifications from accredited overseas institutions and equivalent professional qualification.
- Ideally you should have a more advanced qualification such as MSci, MMath or MSc, in which case we expect at least an upper second in your undergraduate degree with a merit in your postgraduate degree.
- Specific entry requirements or experience required will be listed on the relevant project page where applicable.
English language requirements
All students must meet Queen Mary's English language requirements. The minimum level required for entry to our postgraduate programmes is as follows:
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall, with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in reading, speaking and listening
- Other qualifications can also be considered; please see the QMUL English language requirements guidelines for further information.
Students that have yet to take an English proficiency test may still apply and may recieve a conditional offer subject to meeting the minimum English language requirements.
English language and study skills at QMUL
The QMUL Language Centre offers a range of pre-sessional and in-sessional English language courses for students who have not quite reached the required standard of language ability, or for those wishing to improve their English language and study skills.