9 October 2019
Time: 6:15 - 8:00pm
Venue: Skeel LT People's Palace
The church of Holy Trinity, Long Melford (Suffolk), was rebuilt between 1460 and 1507. Many individuals, ranging from innkeepers to barons, contributed to the undertaking, which was skilfully co-ordinated by John Clopton, a member of the local gentry. These benefactors were represented – in inscriptions and as donor images – in the fabric of the building and in its stained glass windows. They included those with close links to the city of London and to the royal household. This paper will consider what their presence in a Suffolk church tells us about social, cultural and religious networks in the late fifteenth century.
A QMUL Public History Unit Event.