Covid-19 guidance – what to do if someone presents with symptoms
This page provides the essential information for Queen Mary staff and students should they, or someone they know, present with Covid-19 symptoms.
What to do if someone presents with Covid-19 symptoms on campus
If someone is unwell and presents with Covid-19 symptoms, please follow this process:
- If the person needs medical assistance call security on extension 3333 (020 7882 3333 from a mobile), explain the nature of the medical emergency and clearly tell security that the person has Covid-19 symptoms.
- Remain 2 metres away from the person at all times and ensure other people also stay 2 meters away from the person.
- If there is a room nearby where the person can be isolated behind a closed door, move the person to that room. Open the windows in that room if you can. If the person is already in a room where they can be isolated, they must stay there and await medical assistance.
- If it is not possible to move them, or if moving them is not possible without remaining 2m apart from others, then the person should stay in their current location and other people should leave the room.
- The person with suspected Covid-19 must return to their residence as soon as possible to self-isolate as per Government guidance. If they can only get home using public transport they should be instructed to visit security to request a surgical face covering and nitrile gloves for the journey home.
Testing for Covid-19
Anyone who develops any of the following three Covid-19 symptoms must immediately self-isolate and book a Covid-19 test by called 119 or visiting nhs.uk/coronavirus:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.
Students in Queen Mary residences will need to request a postal test kit if they are unable to walk to a testing centre. These students will be given instructions on how to arrange delivery.
If a member of staff develops Covid-19 symptoms, they must alert HR via email@example.com.
If a student develops Covid-19 symptoms they must alert Student Life via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Both students and staff must email again to confirm their test result.
If a contractor or visitor to the university receives a positive test result for Covid-19 after being physically present on one of our campuses, they must immediately notify the staff member responsible for their work or visit. That staff member must then alert the university through the email@example.com email address.
You must self-isolate if you:
- Experience symptoms of Covid-19
- Test positive for Covid-19
- Live in the same household as someone who has tested positive
- Experience symptoms of Covid-19 and are in the process of arranging a test
- Are contacted by NHS Test and Trace or by the university and informed that you have been in recent close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19
- Arrive in England from a country that requires you to self-isolate.
More information, including the length of self-isolation, is available on the UK government website.
If a student or member of staff is struggling to support themselves whilst self-isolating, they should notify the university via the firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com email address. We can provide support for both students and staff.