Dr Heidrun Bien
Senior Lecturer in Mental Health | Programme Lead (Distance Learning MSc’s in Mental Health) | Lead for E-Learning and Online Teaching (WIPH)
I am a Senior Lecturer in Mental Health in the Unit for Psychological Medicine at the Centre for Psychiatry and Mental Health in the Wolfson Institute for Population Health. I act as Institute Lead for E-Learning and Online Teaching and chair the Postgraduate Taught Programmes School Examination Board and the School for Medicine and Dentistry E-Learning User Group. I am the Distance Learning MSc in Mental Health Programme Lead and Student Staff Liaison Committee chair.
A psychologist by training, I was very fortunate to work and develop in international and interdisciplinary settings. Having studied in Germany and the United States, as a Fulbright Scholar, I obtained my PhD in the Netherlands. Working with Willem J. M. Levelt and Harald E. Baayen, I conducted behavioural and neuroscientific research into speech production at the Max-Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics.
As postdoctoral fellow at the University of Muenster and working with Pienie Zwitserlood, I orchestrated a German Science Foundation priority project into neural and psychological correlates of speech categories. Selected for the University’s mentoring programme for excellent young scientists, I served as EDI commissioner and in the institute board of management, and also enjoyed designing and delivering teaching.
Trained in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy, NLP and Counselling, I support charitable organisations which are run for and by LGBTQ+ and those affected by rare cancers. As a qualified coach I am also an active member of the Queen Mary Academy Coaching Network.
suicide prevention; health inequalities, psychopathology risks and protective factors
Please click through to see a complete list of Heidrun's publications
- Baxter, A.J., Harris, M.G., Khatib, Y., Brugha, T.S., Bien, H., & Bhui, K. (2016). Reducing excess mortality due to chronic disease in people with severe mental illness: meta-review of health interventions. British Journal of Psychiatry, 209.
- Bien, H., Hanulíková, A., Weber, A. & Zwitserlood, P. (2016). A neurophysiological investigation of non-native phoneme perception by Dutch and German listeners. Frontiers in Psychology, 7:56.
- Hirschfeld, G., Bien, H., de Vries, M., Lüttmann, H. and Schwall, J. (2010). Open-source software to conduct online rating studies. Behavior Research Methods, 42 (2), 542-546.
- Bien, H., Lagemann, L., Dobel, C., & Zwitserlood, P. (2009). Implicit and explicit categorization of speech sounds – dissociating behavioural and neurophysiological data. Journal of Neuroscience, 30, 339-346.
- Bien, H., Levelt, W.J.M., & Baayen, R.H. (2005). Frequency effects in compound production. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102(49), 17876-17881.
Alessandro Valerio Tridico; socio-economic and environmental risk and protective factors of railway suicide