How to apply
BSc Admission procedures for QMUL students
In order to ensure a fair and transparent means of selecting students for each course a system based on a combination of exam results and interview performance has been set up. The exam results (which include end of year written exams and in-course assessments) used for this assessment are as follows:
- Years 1, 2 and 3 for 5 year MBBS or BDS students intercalating after 4 years
- Years 1 and 2 for 5 year MBBS or BDS students intercalating after 3 years
- Year 1 for 5 year MBBS or BDS students intercalating after 2 years
- Years 1 and 2 for GEP students intercalating after 3 years
- Year 1 for GEP students intercalating after 2 years
- Year 3 for Direct Clinical Entry students intercalating after 2 years
* Please note that applicants for Pre-Hospital Medicine or Sports & Exercise Medicine must have completed a minimum of 3 years of the MBBS programme.
Although this may seem rather complex, student feedback suggests that it is seen as fair.
Before applying for an intercalated degree, all students must meet the academic criteria agreed by the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
BSc Applications for Internal Students
Medical and dental students studying at Barts should complete an application form available on MySIS (log onto MySIS); you will be required to submit your 3 choices in order of preference and a personal statement together with a CV.
Only those students eligible to intercalate will be able to access the application form.
If you applied unsuccessfully for an intercalated degree last year, as a second or third year student, you may, if you wish, indicate on this year's form that you did so. The selectors may take this into account when you are interviewed. Should you have any special circumstances that you would like the interview panel to be aware of please indicate this in your personal statement. Should you have any queries on your application please contact Thuraisha Naidoo via email@example.com.
Applicants electing to study and MSc must in addition apply directly to the MSc course(s). Applicants who wish to intercalate externally please see below.
BSc Applications for External Students
Applications from students attending other medical or dental schools are welcome. In general the procedure is similar to that for our own students. If you undertake an intercalated degree at Barts and The London you will be part of the college for a year and will benefit from the same amenities as our students. In the first instance prospective applicants from external medical schools can contact Thuraisha Naidoo (Tel: 0207 882 2246, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply, completion of an on-line application for for intercalation at Barts and The London is required.
You will be asked to provide 3 course choices in order of preference and a personal statement. In addition, in a separate document, we ask for a CV, a transcript of your results to date, a letter from a Tutor or Dean in your own school which makes it clear that you have been given permission to intercalate at Barts and The London and evidence of the level of fees you are paying at your home university.
To apply: Application form for external students
Applicants electing to study an MSc must in addition apply directly to the MSc course(s) of choice using the QMUL Postgraduate Taught Course online application process.
All applicants electing to study an MSc must apply directly to the MSc course(s) of choice using the QMUL Postgraduate Taught Course online application process.
If you wish to apply for a masters degree, it is advised to make a choice of both intercalated BSc and MSc degrees as places on MSc degrees may be limited.
Students applying to take up an MSc during intercalation can still only make three choices: i.e. 2 MSc applications plus 1 BSc or 1 MSc and 2 BSc applications
- Internal Students complete this form in addition to applying via the PGT portal
Please note your MSc application will be considered as your first choice
- External Students complete this form in addition to applying via the PGT portal
Following the February deadline for iBSc applications external students are free to continue to apply for MSc degrees via the Postgraduate Taught Course online application process.
As in previous years external study is limited, in keeping with QMUL policy. The policy applies to all applicants irrespective of whether the choice is to take up a BSc or an MSc degree externally. Decisions will be based purely on academic ranking and interview as described elsewhere on this webpage.
Internal applicants electing to study either a BSc or an MSc external to QMUL should apply to study EXTERNALLY via MySIS. You will then go through the interview process to gain full permission to intercalate externally.
- If you require a provisional letter of permission to intercalate externally while you apply to your external course, you may request this from Thuraisha Naidoo via email@example.com.
- When requesting please include the name of the course you are applying to and external institution.
- Note all letters issued will provide only provisional permission to intercalate externally. Full permission will only be provided following successful completion of our internal application process.
- An academic transcript may be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews and offers
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview between late February and March and initial offers of places will be made in late April/early May. Those students who are not offered a place on their first choice course may sometimes be offered an interview for their second or lower choice course. Students whose first choice is an external course, will also be interviewed by their first internal choice, where this is applicable.
All offers will be decided centrally via the School of Medicine and Dentistry. Individual degree programmes may recommend your application to the School however they are not able to release any offers. Any such offer from them is considered provisional only.
Selection Criteria & Guidelines.
The timing of the taught units and projects will depend on which course you choose. Please see the individual course pages for more details.
(IMPORTANT. These are official QMUL dates. Exact dates for intercalated courses to be announced. Also, please check with individual course organizers for exact dates (starting, finishing, exams and vacations) pertaining to each course. These may differ from the announced dates, especially around Easter)
- Semester 1: 14 September - 11 December 2020
- Study period: 4 January - 6 January 2021
- Examinations: 7 January - 22 January 2021
- Semester 2: 25 January -16 April 2021 (Bank holidays: 2 and 5 April 2021)
- Semester 3 - examination period: 6 May - 4 June 2021 (Bank holidays: 3 and 31 May 2021)
- Graduation: Mid to late July 2021 (Exact dates to be confirmed)
Please note that the Christmas and Easter breaks may not be the same as those for non-intercalating medical students.