Dr. Panagiotis D. Koutroumpis is a Visiting Lecturer in the School of Economics and Finance at Queen Mary University of London and previously a Researcher at London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
Dr. Koutroumpis holds a BSc in Business Administration from Athens University of Economics and Business, a MSc in Finance and Accounting and a PhD in Financial Economics from Brunel University London. He has been awarded the Postgraduate Teaching Award for the academic year 2015-2016 from Queen Mary University of London and the Dean’s Prize for Innovation and Impact in Doctoral Research (2016) from Brunel University London.
His main research interests span across four disciplinary areas, including Development Economics, Econometrics, Economic History and Political Economy. His current research focuses on the impact of financial development and political instability on growth. Moreover he conducted research on the inflation convergence in the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) as well as in-depth analysis of financial (dis)integration in the euro area for the European Parliament. Geographically his research focuses on East Europe (including Greece), the European Union, Latin America and North Korea. He has expertise in applied econometrics and empirical finance. He is currently working on a number of projects on measuring inflation persistence, modeling and forecasting commodity prices as well environmental phenomena.
- Do Multiple Credit Ratings Reduce the Money Left on the Table? Evidence from the US IPOs; with Goergen, M. & Gounopoulos D., 2021. Journal of Corporate Finance, 67
- Political Instability, Institutional Change and Economic Growth in Brazil since 1870; with Campos N., Karanasos M. & Zhang Z., 2020. Journal of Institutional Economics 16(6), pp.883-910.
- The Legacy of a Fractured Eurozone: The Greek Dra(ch)ma; with Hatgioannides, J., Karanassou, M., Sala, H. & Karanasos, M., 2018. Geoforum, 93, pp.11-21. (Impact Factor 2018, 2.93).
- Inflation Convergence in the EMU; with Karanasos, Karavias, Y., Kartsaklas, A. & Arakelian, V., 2016. Journal of Empirical Finance, 39, pp.241-253 (Impact Factor 2018, 1.25).
- The Current State of Financial (Dis)Integration in the Euro Area; with Macchiarelli, M., 2016. Note to the European Parliament.
Books and Book Chapters:
- Social Exclusion and Labour Market Challenges in the Western Balkans; with Bartlett, W. & Monastiriotis V., 2020. Cambridge Scholars. Available to buy on Amazon
- The Significance of Rollover in Commodity Returns using PARCH models; with Karanasos, M., Margaronis, Z. & Nath, R.B., 2018 Book Chapter in Chevallier J., Goutte S., Guerreiro D., Saglio S., Sanhaji, B., (1st Eds.), "International Financial Markets". Volume 2, Routledge.
- Seven Years of Austerity and the Greek Dr(ch)ma: Three Economists’ Views; with Hatgioannides, J., Karanassou, M. & Sala, H., 2017. Book Chapter In: Bournakis I., Christopoulos D.K., Tsoukis C. (1st Eds.), "Greece in the Maelstrom: On the Political Economy of the Crisis". Palgrave Macmillan. Top 5 Downloaded Chapters.