Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 20 7882 8842Room Number: GC542Website: https://sites.google.com/view/alessandra-bonfiglioli/homeOffice Hours: EMAP students: Friday: 12pm -1pm on lecture days and 11am - 12pm on non-lecture days. For UG students: Wednesday 10-11
Alessandra Bonfiglioli is a Reader in Economics and since September 2018 the Director of Graduate Studies at the School of Economics and Finance at Queen Mary University of London.
She is a Research Fellow at CEPR (Centre for Economic Policy Research), an Affiliated Professor at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (GSE), and an Associate Editor of the Journal of the European Economic Association.
Alessandra Bonfiglioli is a macroeconomist mostly interested in international trade, growth and income inequality, and political economy. Her research focuses on the the determinants of income inequality and firm heterogeneity across and within countries, and on the effects of institutions on economic incentives and countries' economic performance.
She received her Ph.D. in Economics at Stockholm University (Institute for International Economic Studies) in 2005. Previously, she was a Research Fellow at the Institute for Economic Analysis (CSIC) in Barcelona and an Assistant Professor at Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- International Trade
- Growth and Income Distribution
- Political Economy
- Financial Economics
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia, “Economic Uncertainty and Structural Reforms,” (October 2021) forthcoming in Quantitative Economics.
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia and Ioannis Papadakis,“Robots, Offshoring and Welfare,” (July 2021) forthcoming in “Robots and AI: a New Economic Era” (eds. Lili Yan Ing and Gene M. Grossman), Oxon and New York: Routledge.
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia, “International Trade with Heterogeneous Firms: Theory and Evidence,” (November 2021) Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Economics and Finance, Oxford University Press.
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia, “Concentration in International Markets: Evidence from US Imports,” Journal of Monetary Economics, 121, 19-39 (July 2021).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra and Gino Gancia, “Heterogeneity, Selection and Labor Market Disparities,” Review of Economic Dynamics, 31, 305-325 (January 2019).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia, “Trade, Finance and Endogenous Firm Heterogeneity,” Journal of the European Economic Association, 17(1), 79-130 (February 2019)
Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, Rosario Crinò and Gino Gancia, “Betting on Exports: Trade and Endogenous Heterogeneity,” Economic Journal 128, 612-651 (March 2018).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra and Gino Gancia, “Growth, Selection and Appropriate Contracts,” Review of Economic Dynamics 17(1), 21-38 (January 2014).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra and Gino Gancia, “Uncertainty, Electoral Incentives and Political Myopia,” Economic Journal 123, 373-400 (May 2013).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, “Investor Protection and Inequality: Risk Sharing vs Risk Taking,” Journal of Development Economics 99, 92-104 (September 2012).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra, “Financial Integration, Productivity and Capital Accumulation,” Journal of International Economics 76, 337-355 (December 2008).
- Gancia, Gino and Alessandra Bonfiglioli, “North-South Trade and Directed Technical Change,” Journal of International Economics 76, 276-295 (December 2008).
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra and Carlo A. Favero, “Explaining Co-movements Between Stock Markets: The Case of US and Germany,” Journal of International Money and Finance 24(8), 1299-1316 (December 2005).
Alessandra Bonfiglioli’s research has featured in the main European economic blogs (VoxEU.org, Nada es Gratis and LaVoce.info). Her work on economic uncertainty and structural reforms featured in one of the main Spanish newspapers (La Vanguardia) as shortlisted for the prize "the vanguard of science" of 2015.