Postgraduate Research Studentships
Each year we offer fully-funded Research Studentships to support the next generation of leading academics. Funding is available across all research areas and it typically comprises three years of funding.
Self-funders or those with external funding sources are welcome to apply via our standard route at any time of year.
Humanities and Social Sciences PhD Studentships
Eligible Subject Areas
We are offering fully-funded PhD studentships in all areas that fall within the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences for September 2022 entry. This includes the following eight Schools:
- School of Business and Management
- School of Economics and Finance
- School of English and Drama
- School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
- School of Geography
- School of History
- School of Law
- School of Politics and International Relations
All nationalities are eligible for these 3-year studentships which cover tuition fees and living expenses. Part-time applicants and current first-year students are also eligible to apply.
There are two additional awards for UK students who identify as BAME. Full details are within the below documents.
How to Apply
Please read both documents thoroughly before submitting your application.
For those who have external funding or plan to self-fund your PhD, you may apply at any time, but some areas may become full if you apply late in the cycle. You are therefore advised to apply as early as possible.
Science and Engineering PhD Studentships
Fully-funded studentships are available for September 2022 entry across this Faculty. In addition to our general studentship competition, we also have two studentships for UK BAME applicants.
Eligible Subject Areas
PhD programmes across all five schools within the Faculty are eligible for the funding.
- School of Biological and Behavioural Sciences
- School of Physical and Chemical Sciences
- School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Engineering and Materials Science
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- UK students who identify as coming from a Black, Asian or Ethnic minority background.
- The proposed research topic must fit within the EPSRC remit of engineering and physical sciences. Typically this is all areas except Biological and Natural sciences, Astronomy and Particle physics.
Queen Mary Research Studentships:
- All nationalities are eligible for some awards, Home only for others. Check with your department before applying.
- All subject areas are eligible but Schools will be posting updates about which projects they are funding on their pages. There is no guarantee of funding for a particular subject area as this is highly competitive.
Doctoral Training Studentships:
- Check the Doctoral Training Studentships page for the schemes available and how to apply.
- Some awards are for all nationalities, some are for Home applicants only.
How to Apply
Follow the step-by-step instructions on the How To Apply page before submitting your online application.
For most funding types there is one single application for admission and for funding. You should note the funding for which you would like to be considered on your application form.
Some Doctoral Training Programmes require an additional application to the funding partner. Please read the instructions on their website carefully and get in touch if you are unsure.
School of Medicine and Dentistry PhD Studentships
This School is organised into seven distinct Institutes and each has their own funding sources. Typically this comes in three forms:
Research Council Grants: These will be advertised, as they become available, throughout the year. Check our list of live adverts now.
Doctoral Training Schemes: Details of each of these can be found on our doctoral training scheme page.
Charity or Industrial Funding: These will be advertised, as they become available, throughout the year.
Self-funders or those with external funding are welcome to submit a speculative application at any time of year. Prior contact with the proposed supervisor and discussion of the project is highly recommended in advance of submitting your application.
International PhD Funding Schemes
In addition to Queen Mary's studentships, we work with numerous international funding agencies to co-fund PhD studentships to support individual students from across the globe. Today, we are home to scholars from more than 50 different international sponsorship bodies.
The main funding partners we work with for PhD funding are:
Deadlines for PhD Studentships
Applications for September 2022 entry are now open.
- Law studentships: Monday 6th December 2021
- Humanities and Social Sciences Studentships and BAME studentships: Wednesday 19th January 2022 (except Law)
- Science and Engineering Studentships and BAME studentships: Sunday 30th January 2022
- China Scholarship Council applicants for any subject area: Sunday 30th January 2022
- MRes-PhD applicants for the School of Economics and Finance: Monday 31st January 2022
- Projects for the School of Medicine and Dentistry: various- check the advert for the project.
- Doctoral Training Partnerships: there may be an additional application and an earlier deadline. Please check their websites carefully.
If you have questions about any of the above, please contact us via the enquiry form or contact the relevant academic School directly.