Applications close at 5pm (GMT) on Friday 27 January 2023. No late submissions will be accepted. Interviews will be held on 20-22 March. Unfortunately, alternative interview dates cannot be accommodated. You will be notified by Friday 3 March 2023 if you have been shortlisted for interview. Interviewees will be asked to give a five-minute presentation on why they are interested in the programme.
Please use the Personal Statement section of the application to provide evidence and/or examples of:
In line with Queen Mary University of London and the Wellcome Trust’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, if you would like to discuss your eligibility or require any adaptions to the interview process, please contact the Programme Manager at email@example.com.
• Do I need to complete the research proposal or proposed supervisor section of the website?
You do not need to have identified a supervisor or to provide a research proposal to apply so please leave these sections of the application blank or select 'Not applicable'. PhD projects are co-developed during the MRes year of the programme.
• Can EU or international students apply?
Yes EU and international students can apply. International degree equivalents can be checked using the tool on the application pages.
• What fees do EU and overseas students pay?
EU, overseas and home (UK) students fees are all covered by the studentships in full; EU and overseas students do not pay any additional fees.
• I am a clinician, am I eligible to apply for the PhD programme?
Active or currently registered clinicians, including nurses and midwives, are not eligible to apply.
• Can I undertake clinical duties alongside MRes/PhD studies?
No, clinical duties cannot be undertaken while on the studentships.
• I hold an undergraduate degree in medicine/dentistry/nursing - am I eligible?
Undergraduate degrees in medicine (eg MBBS, MD, etc), dentistry (e.g BDS) or nursing are not considered relevant subject areas. Clinically qualified candidates may be eligible if they hold a relevant postgraduate degree and clearly state they will not be undertaking clinical practice during the studentship, however this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• Can the studentship be undertaken part time?
The MRes is a full-time course and cannot be undertaken part-time. Requests for undertaking PhD research part-time can be considered.
• Can the studentship be undertaken by distance learning?
This programme is not offered as a distance learning option; regular attendance on campus is required.
• How should I answer ‘How do you intend to finance your studies at Queen Mary’?
Please select ‘scholarship’ or ‘grant funding’.
• What is the start date and what should I enter for studentship title?
Please select 18 September 2023 as a start date and enter ‘Health Data in Practice Studentship’ as the title.
• English is not my first language, do I need to provide IELTS test results?
Please see English Language requirements for details of where IELTS test scores are required. Please ensure you provide evidence, where needed, of how you meet the English Language Requirements. Applications without this evidence will not be considered eligible.
• I have a 2:2, am I eligible?
If you hold a 2:2 undergraduate degree you are not eligible unless you also hold a Masters degree in a relevant subject area, however this is considered on a case-by-case basis.