An Inventory of Puritan and Dissenting Records, 1640–1714, by Mark Burden, Michael Davies, Anne Dunan-Page and Joel Halcomb (2016)
Despite the extensive and intense scholarly and popular interest in Baptist, Congregational, and Presbyterian churches during the Civil War, Commonwealth and later Stuart period, there has been no systematic study of the surviving minute books, financial accounts, and registers of those churches. Historians have tended to rely on printed accounts from the seventeenth century, which have often been combined with comments of dubious authenticity made by nineteenth-century antiquarians. The Inventory of Puritan and Dissenting Records, 1640-1714 is intended to provide a reliable collation of repository holdings relating to these Puritan and early dissenting churches in England, Wales, and Ireland. It includes full bibliographical details of every church book, account book, and register book formerly belonging to these churches during the period, together with a considerable number of later copies and manuscript church histories. The work’s introduction examines important questions relating to the nomenclature and history of these churches, as well as providing a detailed account of the editorial policies.
The inventory has been prepared by:
- Mark Burden, Aix Marseille Univ, LERMA, Aix-en-Provence, France (research assistant)
- Michael Davies, University of Liverpool
- Anne Dunan-Page, Aix Marseille Univ, LERMA, Aix-en-Provence, France
- Joel Halcomb, University of East Anglia (UEA)
For further information about the authors and their research, please visit the Dissenting Experience website, http://dissent.hypotheses.org.
- Introduction, Editorial Policies, and Acknowledgements (by Mark Burden) [PDF 471KB]
- Abbreviations [PDF 418KB]
- Part 1 Inventory Arranged by Repository [PDF 604KB]
- Part 2 Inventory Arranged by Church Location [PDF 613KB]
- Part 3 Inventory Arranged by Denomination [PDF 616KB]
Citation: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
If you wish to cite any part of this work, including the introduction or the inventory, please do so in the following way: ‘Mark Burden, Michael Davies, Anne Dunan-Page and Joel Halcomb, An Inventory of Puritan and Dissenting Records, 1640-1714 (2016): https://www.qmul.ac.uk/sed/religionandliterature/online-publications/dissenting-records