International menu

English language requirements

All students must meet English language entry requirements for all QMUL programmes of study.

English language requirements

All applicants to QMUL programmes must meet a minimum academic English language entry requirement for admission and to be successful on the course. You may not need to provide an official English language qualification, but you do need to provide evidence of your English language ability in line with the IELTS requirements for the programme to which you are applying. Before applying, please check the programme English language entry requirements for further information on the English language levels required.

If you have not achieved the required English language level yet, you may be eligible to take a Pre-sessional English course, or continue to take English language tests in your country to reach the level needed.

Please noteStudents who wish to be considered for the Pre-sessional English courses must have a UKVI-approved IELTS test or other Secure English Language Test (SELT) and will normally be required to have a minimum of IELTS 5.0 (or equivalent) in each language component. In exceptional cases, students with one component score below IELTS 5.0 (or equivalent) may be admitted to the Pre-sessional English course, subject to the Admissions team’s assessment. Please see below for more information on SELT qualifications.

Students offered the 5 week pre-sessional may be eligible for a joint Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which will cover both the pre-sessional and main degree programme.

Students who need a Tier 4 visa

A few of you will need a Secure English Language Test (SELT) when you apply for a QMUL programme, which must be taken at an UKVI approved centre. The test must be taken under UKVI conditions and your score sheet must include a UKVI number to reflect this. Please check the programme type in the list below to see if you need a SELT before applying and check the programme English language entry requirements.

If you are a national of a Majority English Speaking country,  or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in a Majority English Speaking country, you will not be required to take a SELT to satisfy the UKVI requirements for any programme.  You will, however, need to show evidence of academic English language capability to the required level for the programme of study, which may be by other means. Please see the English language requirements for further information.

Return to top