Skip to main content
School of Languages, Linguistics and Film

Visiting research students

Are you currently completing a Doctoral degree outside the UK, requiring short-term visiting student status overseas to obtain supervision of their thesis?

This page is not intended for students who wish to apply for a full degree in the School of Languages, Linguistics and Film

If you wish to come to the School of Languages, Linguistics and Film to complete your thesis as a Visiting Student you will need to apply to the College for a place as Postgraduate Research Student Associate.

A fee of £100 per supervised month will be charged, to be paid upon enrolment.

How to Apply

You can apply to visit at any time of the year, subject to departmental agreement. In the first instance, prior to making an formal application, you should consult an appropriate member of research staff with whom you would like to work to request an invitation, agree the duration of your visit and when you can start. You will be able to find a list of staff in each department and their research interests by visiting our People Page and selecting the Academic tab in Staff Type.

If supervision is offered to you, you will then need to make a formal application by completing the Postgraduate Research Associate Student Application here

Please allow at least four weeks for your application to be processed before your intended arrival.


If your application is accepted, the Research Degrees Office will send you joining and enrolment instructions which will allow you to obtain a student identification card and access to facilities at Queen Mary. 

Enrolment takes place at the beginning of the first month of your intended visit.

Further information

College accommodation for visiting students cannot be guarantted and own arrangements may need to be made. However, Residential Services and Support can offer advice and assistance on accommodation options. 

If you are permitted to attend any classes, please be aware that visiting students cannot receive formal assessment or credit.

For more information about applying for the research associate programme in the School, please contact:
Postgraduate Studies

Back to top