Colleen Cotter, PhD (Berkeley)
Reader in Media Linguistics
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8294Room Number: ArtsOne 1.14
**Currently editing the Routledge Handbook on Language and Media (with Daniel Perrin).
**Past research partnerships with the British Library (Social Welfare http://socialwelfare.bl.uk/resources-tools/portraying14.aspx; and Sport and Society www.bl.uk/sportandsociety/).
**Courses taught: • Language and Life in London • Ethnography of Communication (theory and fieldwork) • Language and the Media • Language in the USA • English in Use • English/Linguistics Research Project
**Courses taught previously: • Language Style, Standardization and the Media • Media Discourse • Endangered Languages and Dialects • Public Opinion, Propaganda and the Media • Journalism in the CyberAge • Newswriting • Copyediting and newspaper production
• "Diversity awareness and the role of language in cultural representations in news stories." 2011. In Journal of Pragmatics 43(7): 1890-1899. Special issue: Towards a Linguistics of News Production.
• "Towards a linguistics of news production." 2011. In Journal of Pragmatics 43(7): 1843-1852. Co-authored.
• MONOGRAPH: News Talk: Investigating the Language of Journalism. 2010. Cambridge University Press.
• "The persistence of workplace ideology and identity across communicative contexts." 2008 (2006). Journal of Applied Linguistics 3.1: 1-24. Co-authored with Daniel Marschall.
• "Online dictionaries as emerging archives of contemporary usage and collaborative lexicography." 2007. English Today: The International Review of the English Language (90) vol. 23:2: 19-26. Co-authored with John Damaso. Longer version at: webspace.qmul.ac.uk/dharbour/QMOPAL-09-Cotter-Damaso.pdf
• "Prescriptions and practice: Motivations behind change in news discourse." 2003. In Journal of Historical Pragmatics 4:1: 45-74. Special issue: Media and Language Change.
• "Language and media." 2003. In Oxford International Encyclopedia of Linguistics (2nd ed.). William Frawley, ed. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.
• "Discourse and media." 2001. In Handbook of Discourse Analysis. Deborah Schiffrin, Deborah Tannen and Heidi E. Hamilton, eds. Cambridge, MA, and Oxford, UK: Blackwell: 416-436.
• "Irish, media, and maintenance." 2001. In The Green Book on Language Revitalization in Practice. Leanne Hinton and Kenneth Hale, eds. San Diego: Academic Press: 301-311.
• POPULAR BOOK: USA Phrasebook: Understanding Americans and Their Culture. 2nd ed. 2001. Hawthorn, Australia: Lonely Planet Publications.
• "Ensuring linguistic access." In A People Looking Forward: Interim Report of the Office of the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. 2001. J.P. Singh (principal investigator), et al., eds. Washington, D.C.: 41-53.
• "Raidío na Life: Innovations in the use of media for language revitalization." 1999. The International Journal of the Sociology of Language 140:135-147.i