When are the Libraries open?
Check the Opening Hours page to find out our opening times.
I'm not a Queen Mary student/researcher/member of staff. Can I use the Library?
For further information on your particular circumstances, please go to the Access and Membership page and choose the appropriate heading.
How do I find my Library Services barcode?
- If you have collected your student/staff ID card, your Library Services barcode is printed on the front (the number printed below the barcode it is the barcode number)
- Students can also find their barcode number by logging into MySIS
How do I find out my PIN?
- Your Library Services account PIN is set automatically, if you do not know what it is, you can reset it
- To reset your PIN go to the PIN request page and enter your Library Services barcode number; a reset link will be sent to you
Do I have to return books to the Queen Mary Library I borrowed them from?
- One Week Loan books may be returned to any Queen Mary Library.
- They will be cleared from your Library record when you return them.
- Any fines due may be paid at any library.
- Other items must be returned the library from which they were borrowed.
Do I need to bring my books into the Library to renew them?
Not always. You will not be able to renew items yourself if:
- you have fines of £10.00 or over
- a hold has been placed on the item
- the item is a One Day Loan from the Teaching Collection. Please bring this to the Welcome Desk for renewal.
Items can be renewed using either:
- the Renew option on the Self-Service Kiosks in the Libraries.
- the Renew Loans option in the Self Service area of the Library website
- the QMUL app for mobile devices. Search for QMUL App on your device's app store.
You will need your College ID/Library card and library PIN to use self-service renewals.
Can books be returned when the Libraries are closed?
Yes, Mile End and West Smithfield Libraries have book return bins outside the Library which can be used to return books when the Library is closed.
How much will the fine be on my overdue item?
Fines are charged at £1.00 per day per item.
To protect you from large fines building up, fines on each item will not exceed £10.00. We will contact you when the item is 1 day (£1), 5 days (£5) and 10 days (£10) overdue.
We also charge fines if Inter-Library Loan items become overdue.
Can I still borrow items if I have a Library fine I have not yet paid?
Yes, up to a limit of £10 worth of fines.
Once you reach this amount, you will need to pay off your fines before you can borrow any further items from the Library.
How many books/other items can I borrow?
The overall limits for borrowing are:
- 40 items for undergraduates and associate students
- 40 items for taught postgraduates
- 40 items for research postgraduates and staff
- 6 items for external borrowers and NHS library users
For further details please visit our Borrowing Basics page.
How long can I borrow videos and DVDs for?
Videos and DVDs are one day loans. This means they must be returned at any time on the day after borrowing.
I've forgotten my Library card. Can I borrow items?
No. You must have your Library card to be able to borrow.
How do I pay library fines?
You can make a card payment on-line at Pay your library fines
Alternatively, fines can be paid in the library at the self-service kiosks using your Queen ID/Library card by selecting the ‘Pay Fines’ option.
How do I top-up my print credit?
Print credit is topped up using your QM iPay account, which is also used for fines payment, wireless printing and photocopying.
What do I need to access the PCs in the Library?
IT Services provide workstation PCs and printers in all Library services buildings.
- Undergraduates and taught postgraduates you should be given your username during the registration process. If not,use one of IT Support Channels: service desk is based in Dept W in core hours (09:00-17:00) and can be contacted in person or via Live Chat, email, phone and Self-Service.
- Research Postgraduates and Staff, contact Queen Mary IT Liaison on ext 5939 or visit the IT Service Desk at Dept W, to register for the service.
How do I photocopy?
You can photocopy at any of the Library MFDs (Multi-function Devices), which can also be used for printing and scanning.