- Member of the Institute of Physics (MInstP)
- Fellow of the High Education Academy (FHEA)
- PhD in Particle Physics
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
Current Research Roles and Committees
- ATLAS B Physics and Light States Physics convenor
- Member of the CERN Super Proton Synchrotron and Proton Synchrotron Committee (SPSC)
- Member of the Heavy Flavour Averaging Group (HFLAV)
- Member of Advisory Committee of CERN Users (ACCU)
- CERN ATLAS Deputy Team Leader for QMUL
- ATLAS Level 1 Calorimeter Trigger and Upgrade Team Leader for QMUL
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of Interplay of Particle and Astroparticle Physics (IPA) conference
- Member of the STFC Particle Physics Users Advisory Committee
- Member and co-founder of the phenomenological collaboration UTfit.
Teaching and Administration Roles (teaching roles currently suspended due to sabbatical/fellowship period)
- Chair of the School of Physics Undergraduate Examination Board
- Director of the Physics with Particle Physics Programme
- Member of the Exam Vetting Committee
- Member of the Learning and Teaching Committee
- Module Organiser of Undergraduate Module Mathematical Techniques 2
- Deputy Module Organisers of Undergraduate Modules Elementary Particle Physics and Statistical Data Analysis
- Particle Physics Research Centre webpage manager.
Teaching and Teaching-related Roles
Roles for the School of Physics and Astronomy:
- Director of the Physics with Particle Physics Programme
- Deputy Chair of the Undergraduate Examination Board
Undergraduate teaching at QMUL:
- Mathematical techniques II (2012-) - a first year module.
- Has the LHC destroyed the world yet? A down-to-earth introduction to Particle Physics. (2018-) - a summer module
Special tutorials or lectures
- ROOT tutorials: these are targeted to third and fourth year students who have or plan to work on a particle physics project. ROOT is the CERN-developed analysis framework used by most high-energy physics experiments. See the slides and the data used in the past agendas: October 2017, June 2016, October 2016
- Elementary Particle Physics (2013-2017) for third year students
- Mathematical techniques I (2011-2012) for first years
- Statistical Physics (2009-2013) for third years
Please see here for my list of Projects for Undergraduates.
It is not an exhaustive list and I would be happy to discuss other project possibilities.
For the University of London Intercollegiate Postgraduate Course in Elementary Particle Physics for first year PhD students:
Current PhD Students
- Eddie Thorpe, working on a project on Dark Matter searches in ATLAS
- Adelina D'Onofrio, working with Prof. Lucio Cerrito on top physics
- Dr Dave Lewis, with a project titled "New Physics at the LHC: Direct and Indirect Probes"
- Dr Cristiano Alpigiani, with a project titled "Search for Rare B Decays into Two Muons with the ATLAS Detector", now in a research post-doctoral position with University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Dr Greg Fletcher, with a project titled "A Measurement of W+jets/Z+jets with the ATLAS Detector", now a Data Scientist for Deloitte Risk Analytics, London
I have focused my research activity on indirect and direct searches of physics beyond the Standard Model. The Standard Model of particle physics is a now well-established theory explaining how elementary particles interact and has allowed for extremely precise predictions, thus proving its effectiveness. The discovery of the Higgs boson represents the last piece in the puzzle of the Standard Model. However the Standard Model is not the full picture as it does not explain a number of phenomena: amongst them, the matter-antimatter unbalance of the universe and the existence and essence of Dark Matter.
The matter-antimatter unbalance can be studies through Flavour Physics. I am active in the field since 1998 having focused on B physics from the experimental and phenomenological point of view. Flavour physics can also provide us a glimpse into physics beyond the Standard Model by indirectly assessing its effects at the lower energy scales. Complementarily to the indirect seraches, since the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Geneva is now reaching unprecedented energies, new particles can be directly produced and observed. Since 2014 I am leading the PPRC (Particle Physics Research Center) effort towards direct searches of new particles and in particular particles that could constitute the Dark Matter of the universe.
I am a member of the ATLAS collaboration, an experiment taking data at CERN, Geneva: I contribute to the running, the calibration, the analysis and the management of the experiment. In particular I am deputy leader of the QMUL ATLAS group and I am leader of the QMUL ATLAS Level-1 Calorimeter Trigger group.
Since 2019 I am convenor of the ATLAS B Physics and Light States Physics working group. I'm also member of the Heavy Flavour Averaging group (HFLAV). I have been leading the search for rare B decays into two muons [arXiv:1604.04263]. These decays are highly suppressed in the Standard Model and the first measurements are starting to be accessible to the LHC experiments..Read about this important results on the ATLAS physics briefing on the search for B meson decays into muons. In 2020 I led the LHC-wide statistical combination of these rare B decay measurements [ATLAS-CONF-2020-049].
Since 2021, I'm Royal Society Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellow focusing on the measurement of the RK* ratio of B decays in K* mesons and lepton pairs (electons over muons).
I have opened a new field of investigation within the Queen Mary PPRC by joining the search for the third generation supersymmetric particles with the ATLAS detector. We started contributing to the search for the supersymmetric partner of the top quark that is expected to be the lightest one. We are focusing on final states with jets and missing energy. The first results on data taken at 13 GeV of centre of mass energy have been presented here: ATLAS-CONF-2016-077 and ATLAS physics briefing on searching for sign of the stop.
I have then extended my contribution to the searches of Dark Matter particles: we have been searching for Dark Matter particles produced in association with heavy-flavour quarks. Our most recent analysis focused on searches for Dark Matter particles produced in association with b quarks [arXiv:2101.12527].
On the phenomenological front, I am founder and active member of the phenomenological collaboration UTfit that extracts fundamental parameters of the Standard Model from results obtained from all the present and past experiments and from the most updated theoretical calculations.
Seminars and Colloquia at PPRC and SPA
I have been seminar organiser for the PPRC: see the list of our events
Together with PhD student Greg Fletcher, we have been analysing the production of vector-bosons associated with jets using ATLAS data taken in 2010. These final states are crucial for calibration and background studies, but above all for QCD measurements. They can also represent an interesting handle to peek into new physics. Our papers are here: arXiv:1409.8639 and arXiv:1409.6510
I have worked in Flavour Physics since 1998 in the BaBar experiment at SLAC, California. I observed for the first time B decays decaying into two light hadrons (pions and/or kaons). I also contributed to the analyses towards the determination of the angle gamma of the unitarity triangle.
Please check this for the summary of my publications:
Here is a list of publications to which I directly contributed:
This is not an exhaustive list and I would be happy to discuss other project possibilities.
I have a long standing interest in public engagement in many different forms and have over the years built up an extended expertise in talking in layman terms about particle physics. Here below are some of my recent talks and qualifications
- Official CERN guide since 2007: to visit CERN have a look at the Visit CERN page
- February 2017, organised the PsiStar visit at CERN
- September 2016, public lecture at the Odiham District University of Third Age titled "The world of elementary particles"
- November 2015, public talk as a "scientific aperitif" at the Caffe Boglione, Bra, Italy
- May 2015, Pint of Science talk in a London pub, titiled "Has the large hadron collider destroyed the world yet?"
- My scientific photography portfolio
Invited talks in national and international conferences
- M. Bona, "Updates in the Unitarity Triangle fits with UTfit", at the 40th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP20), held virtually, July 2020
- M. Bona, "Discovery potential in flavour physics", invited talk at "The 26th Nordic Particle Physics Meeting (Spaatind 2020)", held in Skeikampen, Norway, January 2020
- M. Bona, "Current Status and Future of Flavour Physics", invited talk at " , UK, April 2019
- M. Bona, "ATLAS+CMS prospects for rare decays", invited talk at "Towards the Ultimate Precision in Flavour Physics" workshop, held in Durham, UK, April 2019
- M. Bona, "Status of global CKM fits", plenary talk at 10th International Workshop on the CKM Unitarity Triangle (CKM18), held in Heidelberg, Germany, September 2018
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "UTfitter Report: Updates on unitarity triangle analysis in and beyond the SM", 10th International Workshop on the CKM Unitarity Triangle (CKM18), held in Heidelberg, Germany, September 2018
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Updates on unitarity triangle analysis in and beyond the SM", 16th Conference on Flavor Physics and CP Violation (FPCP18), held in Hyderabad, India, July 2018
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "Indirect searches for new physics at ATLAS", UK Flavour 2017 workshop, September 2017
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Unitarity Triangle Analysis and D meson mixing in the Standard Model and Beyond", International Europhysics Conference on High-Energy Physics 2017" (EPS17), held in Venice, Italy, July 2017
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "Study of b->s ll decays at ATLAS", the fifth Annual Large Hadron Collider Physics conference (LHCP17), Shanghai, China, May 2017
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Theory of heavy meson mixing & CKM-SM", the fifth Annual Large Hadron Collider Physics conference (LHCP17), Shanghai, China, May 2017
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Latest results from UTfit" and "Neutral charm mixing results from the UTfit collaboration", 9th International Workshop on the CKM Unitarity Triangle (CKM16), Mumbai, India, December 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Unitarity Triangle analysis in the Standard Model and beyond from UTfit", 2nd Conference Interplay between Particle and Astroparticle Physics (IPA 2016), Paris, France, September 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the IoP), "Project Juno: Advancing Gender Equality In Physics Careers In Higher Education In The UK", panel session and poster, 38th International Conference of High Energy Physics (ICHEP16), Chicago, USA, August 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), Updates from UTfit on the Unitarity Triangle and D mixing analyses and The Unitarity Triangle analysis beyond the Standard Model: updates from UTfit, 38th International Conference of High Energy Physics (ICHEP16), Chicago, USA, August 2016
- M. Bona, "Unitarity Triangle analysis in the SM and beyond from UTfit", Heavy Flavour 2016: Quo Vadis?, Islay, UK, July 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "Study of rare B decays at ATLAS", Rare B decays, Theory and Experiment Workshop 2016, Barcelona, Spain, April 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS and CMS Collaboration), Spectroscopy and QCD in ATLAS and CMS, 11th Franco-Italian Meeting on B Physics, Paris, France, April 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "Bs to mumu result from ATLAS", Institute of Physics joint annual HEPP and APP conference, Brighton, UK, March 2016
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "Recent B-physics results from ATLAS", 30th Lake Louise Winter Institute (LLWI 2015), Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada, Feb 2015
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Updates from UTfit" ,8th International Workshop on the CKM Unitarity Triangle (CKM'14), Vienna, Austria, Sep 2014
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), "New physics searches with flavour in ATLAS", 21st International Conference on Supersymmetry and Unification of Fundamental Interactions (SUSY13), Italy, Aug 2013
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Updates from UTfit within and beyond the Standard Model", 21st International Conference on Supersymmetry and Unification of Fundamental Interactions (SUSY13), Italy, Aug 2013
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Status of the CKM picture in the light of recent results", Workshop on CP Violation in Elementary Particles and Composite Systems, India, Feb 2013
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), UTfit analysis with a focus on new physics, talk given at the "Rencontres du Vietnam, Beyond the standard model in particle physics", held in Quy Nhon, Vietnam, July 19, 2012
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), Recent Heavy Flavour Results from ATLAS, talk given at the "Rencontres du Vietnam, Heavy Ion Collisions in the LHC Era", held in Quy Nhon, Vietnam, July 19, 2012
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), Standard Model updates and new physics analysis with the Unitarity Triangle fit, talk given at the "Fourth Workshop on Theory, Phenomenology and Experiments in Flavour Physics", held in Anacapri, Italy, June 11, 2012
- M. Bona (on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration), Flavour Physics Results from ATLAS, talk given at the "Fourth Workshop on Theory, Phenomenology and Experiments in Flavour Physics", held in Anacapri, Italy, June 11, 2012
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Standard Model updates and new physics analysis with the Unitarity Triangle fit", talk given at the "International Europhysics Conference on High-Energy Physics 2011" (EPS11), held in Grenoble, France, July 22, 2011
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), "Flavour physics as a test of the standard model and a probe of new physics", talk given at the "First NExT PhD Workshop, held in Abingdon, UK, July 19, 2011
- M. Bona (on behalf of the UTfit Collaboration), Standard Model updates and new physics analysis with the Unitarity Triangle fit, talk given at the "Flavor Physics & CP Violation 2010" (FPCP 2010) conference, held in Torino, Italy, May 25-29, 2010
- May 2019: Heavy Flavour session convener for the 7th Annual Large Hadron Collider Physics (LHCP2019) conference.
- September 2015: co-organiser of the conference QCD@LHC
- July 2014: co-organiser of the conference 50 years of CP violation
Since 2012, I have been a leading member of the SPA Juno Committee. In 2012-2013 I chaired the committee and led the successful submission that gave SPA the Juno Practitioner status (2013). In 2013-2016 I have been deputy chair and my active participation contributed in successfully obtaining the Juno Champion and Athena Silver status (2015). I have been Juno and SPA representative at the Athena SWAN/SAT committees. I organised and participated to workshops and events regarding diversity studies:
- In November 2016, I have been invited by the Diversity and Inclusion committee of the Institute of Physics as speaker at the event “Taking control of your career as a female physicist”, where I gave a talk reviewing my personal path and experience.
- In August 2016, I represented the Institute of Physics and Project Juno at the High-Energy-Physics conference ICHEP 2016 witth a panel contribution and a poster
- In March 2016, I organised the International Women Day event at SPA