Dr Chris White
Reader in Theoretical Physics | Deputy Director for Education
Email: email@example.comTelephone: 0207 882 7979Room Number: G. O. Jones Building, Room 606
I currently teach two courses at QMUL:
- "Electric and Magnetic Fields": a first year course covering various aspects of electromagnetism and vector calculus, leading up to Maxwell's equations.
- "Collider Physics": A Masters (fourth year) course that describes how to apply quantum field theory to present-day particle accelerator experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
My research focuses on the various theories that underly particle physics and gravity, and the relationships between them. To be more specific:
- I have a long-standing interest in Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), which describes the quarks and gluons that live inside the proton. My current work is in developing new methods for understanding soft (low energy) radiation, which is ubiquitous at modern colliders.
- I have examined the physics of the top quark, including writing software that describes its production, and also comparing possible new physics theories to current experimental data.
- In recent years, I have become increasingly interested in how QCD (and related theories) can tell us about gravity. A relationship called the “double copy” says that scattering probabilities in these different theories should be related in a precise way. I have extended this correspondence to classical solutions, which may have astrophysical applications. I am also trying to extend the remit of the double copy, by including global / topological aspects.
Examples of research funding:
- STFC Consolidated Grant: "Amplitudes, Strings and Duality" ST/T000686/1, A Brandhuber (PI), DS Berman, M Buican, MB Green, RJF Monteiro, C Papageorgakis, MG Perry, S Ramgoolam, R Russo, G Travaglini, C White, GBP890,210 (2020-2023).
- STFC Consolidated Grant: "String Theory, Gauge Theory and Duality" ST/P000754/1, A Brandhuber (PI), DS Berman, S Ramgoolam, R Russo, M Shigemori, WJ Spence, S Thomas, G Travaglini, C Papageorgakis, C White, GBP710,337 (2017-2020).
- European Training Network "SAGEX", Scattering Amplitudes: from Geometry to Experiment, PI G Travaglini, 8 academic partner universities, ca. 4,000,000 Euro
A complete list of my publications can be found here.