Skip to main content
Security and Business Continuity

Access Control

Security Manager looking at access control
Security Manager looking at access control

New cards

Introduction of Charging for Replacement Staff ID Cards
The Security Service issues access control cards to staff and students. At present, all staff cards are replaced free of charge, and students pay for a replacement. To bring staff ID card replacement policy in line with student policy, from the 1 March 2022, a charge of £20 has been introduced for the replacement of most staff ID cards. This charge will be payable by departments or individuals, as appropriate. The form to make payment, and the policy is available within the Downloads areas of this site.

If the card has been stolen, a free of charge replacement will continue to be issued on production of a Crime Reference Number on police headed paper.

A charge of £20 will be made for cards that need replacing due to the following reasons:

  • Lost or forgotten cards.
  • Damage caused by the card not being looked after – bent or buckled through, not being kept in the supplied holder, being washed or hole punched.
  • Personal name change or Department, School or job title change. (Please note, a replacement card is not always required - please contact Security Service for further advice).

Should you have any queries regarding the fee please contact Mike Digby, Head of Security and Emergency Planning on 020 7882 5019 or Mike Digby, or visit our Security site.

Staff: To obtain a new card, please download and complete the Application for Staff ID form [PDF 107KB]. Once it is complete and signed by your Head of Department, please take it to the Security Control Room at your campus where we will take your picture and prepare your card, normally available within 24 hours. All members of staff must personally attend Security Services to have their cards encoded or updated. We cannot encode a card in its owner's absence.

Student ID Cards: 
Student ID Cards are produced as part of the enrolment process.  Please refer to your enrolment instructions for details on when and where to go to enrol.

Lost or expired cards

Staff: To replace lost or stolen cards, please report to the Security Control Room at your campus. A replacement will be produced while you wait. Lost and stolen cards should be reported to Security as soon as possible so they can be cancelled. To renew an expired ID card, the existing card must be presented to a Security Control Room supported by a newly completed Application for Staff ID form [PDF 107KB].

Students: Lost cards must be reported immediately to a Security Control Room
To renew a Student ID Card you will need to visit one of the offices below depending on the course you are studying:

  • Research Students 
    Research Degrees Office, Room E15 Queens' Building, Mile End Campus.
  • Study Abroad Associate Students 
    Study Abroad Office, Room E09 in Queens' Building, Mile End Campus.
  • Undergraduate Medical and Dentistry Students 
    Student Office in Garrod Building, Whitechapel Campus.
  • Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students based at Mile End 
    Student Enquiry Centre, Room CB01 in the Queens' Building, Mile End, Campus

Access control

To amend access rights please visit the Security Control Room at your campus with a completed Application for Staff ID form [PDF 107KB] if you are staff or appropriate departmental authorisation if you are a student, including contact details and access requirements, and hand in to the Security Control Room at your campus. Access should be assigned within six hours during normal working hours.

Dept w - Facing Outside
Back to top