Dr Chunling Xia
Lecturer in Finance; Programme Director for BSc Business Management (Year 2)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 3906Room Number: Room 3.07, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End CampusWebsite: http://sites.google.com/site/drchunlingxia/Office Hours: Wednesday 3.00pm - 5pm (Semester A); Thursday 3.00pm - 5.00pm (Semester B)
- Programme Director for BSc Business Management (Year 2)
- SBM Database Coordinator
- Member of the Department of Accounting and Financial Management
Dr. Chunling Xia is a Lecturer in Finance at Queen Mary University of London. She graduated from Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics, with a BSc degree in Economics. She completed her MSc in Finance at Lancaster Management School and holds a PhD in Finance degree at Warwick Business School, University of Warwick.
Her research interests are mainly in the area of empirical corporate finance, especially mergers and acquisitions and insider trading. In particular, her recent research explores the reasons of M&A deal initiation, managers’ active participation, insiders’ trades in the target and acquiring firms, and corporate payout policy. She has published her papers in world-leading finance journals, including the Journal of Corporate Finance and European Financial Management. She also presents her research papers every year in various academic venues. She has been invited as the referee for world-leading finance journals, including the Journal of Banking and Finance.
Before joining the Queen Mary University of London, she has experience in teaching finance courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels at Warwick Business School. She has passed the CFA level I in 2010.
- BUS149: Foundations of Finance
- BUS225: Corporate Finance and Strategy
Chunling is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Insider Trading
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Compensation
- Corporate Payout Policy
Dr Xia’s past research explores why target firms actively sell themselves and analyses managers’ active participation in the deal negotiation process, and how deal characteristics affect insiders’ trades in target firms before the takeover announcement date. Currently, she focuses on target insiders as risk arbitrageurs after the announcement. She is also interested in insiders’ trades in acquiring firms and help to shed light on the size and distribution of synergies in informal selling mechanism versus formal auctions. Further, her research investigates the interdependence between corporate payout and investment policies.
Centre and Group Membership:
- Member of the Behavioural Finance Working Group
- Fidrmuc, J.P. and Xia, C., 2019. M&A deal initiation and managerial motivation. Journal of Corporate Finance, 59, pp.320-343. (International collaboration)
- Fidrmuc, J.P. and Xia, C., 2021. Target insiders' preferences when trading before takeover announcements: Deal completion probability, premium and deal characteristics. European Financial Management, Forthcoming. (International collaboration)
- Fidrmuc, J.P. and Xia, C., 2021. Asset complementarity and optimality of one-to-one negotiations when selling firms.
- Chen, Z., Fidrmuc, J., Lei, Z., and Xia, C., 2021. The unselfishness of insider trading: evidence from acquirer insiders' trades around M&A. – Semifinalist for one of six best paper awards at the 2020 FMA Virtual Conference.
- Chen, Z., Lei, Z., and Xia, C., 2021. Prioritizing payout over investment? Dividends vs repurchases.
- Muradoglu, G., Peng, N., Qin, H., and Xia, C., 2021. Investor attention and early announcements in mergers and acquisitions.
Work in progress
- Fidrmuc, J.P. and Xia, C., 2019. Target insiders as risk arbitrageurs.
- Muradoglu, G., Peng, N., and Xia, C., 2020. The effect of target CEO network on acquirer stock performance.
Current doctoral students:
Huai Qin, (co-supervisor with Gulnur Muradoglu and Ni Peng).
Soumyadeep Sinharay, 'Essays on Financial Risk Management'.
External Examiner For MSc International Financial Management, Surrey Business School, University of Surrey.