Skip to main content
Student Health

Accessing Healthcare for UK students

Access to a doctor (GP)

You should register with a GP surgery as soon as you start your study at Queen Mary University of London - do not wait until you become unwell, as you may not be able to get the health care you need. All UK students who are already registered with a UK GP are advised to register with a GP surgery near to where they live while studying at Queen Mary and to re-register with their home GP once they have completed their studies.

If you are living at the Mile End campus, or in postcodes E1, E2, E3 or E14, you can register with the Student Health Service (SHS). Also, if it is clinically appropriate and practical in your individual case, the SHS offers out of area registration without home visits for the students who live within inner London. If you do not live locally and either could not register with the SHS or would like to register with an NHS GP surgery near to where you live, you can search for a GP Surgery online using the postcode for the address where you are currently living.

Although access to a GP and nurse is free, all NHS patients in England (apart from those who are exempt) are required to make a payment toward the cost of prescriptions. 

Other healthcare services (pharmacies, NHS walk-in centres, NHS 111)

A pharmacist can give you advice for many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headache, travel advice or sore throats.

Walk-in/urgent care centres are a facility you can go to if you have a minor illness or injury and it can't wait until your GP surgery is open. The NHS in England is currently changing how these services work. You can check the information about what medical issues these centres deal with and how to access your local centre here.  

Call NHS 111, if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. You can also call 111 if you are not sure which NHS service to use.

Medical emergencies

An emergency is a critical or life-threatening situation. In many cases, the quickest way to get help is to go to your nearest A&E (Accident & Emergency) department which are open 24 hours a day. A&E departments are located in certain hospitals. You can use the "Find and choose" service on the NHS website to find your nearest A&E. The closest A&E to the Mile End campus is at The Royal London Hospital, opposite Whitechapel underground station. You can get directions here.

If you think immediate treatment by paramedics is needed call 999 for an ambulance.

How do I access private healthcare or therapy?

You can:

Useful information

Samaritans This is a confidential service, where you can talk about any difficult thoughts or feelings that you are worried or unhappy about (if you feel you would like some support). You can call and talk to someone 24-hours a day for free on 116 123. You can also email

Nightline This is a confidential listening, support and practical information service for students in London. It is open from 6pm to 2am every night of term. You can call 020 7631 0101 or email

Back to top