Historic building at Queen Mary to be restored

Queen Mary, University of London has announced that it is to restore the Grade II listed People's Palace located on its Mile End campus.

Published on:
The People's Palace in 1936
The People's Palace in 1936

The building dates from 1936 and was acquired by the College in 1956. The main part of the building is the Great Hall, used for major College events like graduation ceremonies and available too for external hire.

The building retains some of its original fittings (designed by the cinema architect George Coles) and externally has seven fine bas-relief panels by the 20th Century sculptor and artist, Eric Gill. The College's intention is to restore it appropriately.

Senior Vice Principal Professor Philip Ogden commented: “This project follows from the restoration three years ago of the nineteenth-century Octagon Library and shows the College's commitment to caring for its important historic buildings. We also hope that, in collaboration with a number of cultural partners, the restored People's Palace will again become a focus for cultural events in this part of London.”

For media information, contact:

Rupert Marquand
Media Relations Manager