Dr Stella Ladi
Senior Lecturer in Public Management
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 6987Room Number: Room 3.44g, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
- Phd Admissions Tutor (Qualitative Disciplines)
- Member of the Department of Business and Society
- BUS244: European Business Context
- Crisis management: the Eurozone crisis, the Covid-19 crisis
- The role of experts in public policy
- Public policy and public administration reforms
- Europeanization, globalization, transnational administration and global public policy
Centre and Group Membership:
- Member of the Centre for Globalisation Research (CGR)
Books and special journal editions
- Wolff. S. and Ladi., S. (eds.), (2020), Pandemic Politics and European Union Responses, Special Issue in Journal of European Integration (in progress).
- Moury, C., Ladi, S, Cardoso, D. and Gago, A. (2020), Capitalising on Constraint: Bailout Politics in Eurozone Countries, Manchester: Manchester University Press (in progress).
- Ladi, S. and Dalakou V. (2016), Public Policy Analysis, 2nd edition, Athens: Papazisis (text-book in Greek).
- Ladi, S. and Stone, D. (eds.), (2015), Global Policy and Transnational Administration, Special issue in Public Administration, 9. 4.
- Ladi, S. and Tsarouhas, D. (eds.), (2014), Symposium on Austerity Politics in the EU, Political Studies Review, 12.2.
- Ladi, S. (2005), Globalization, Policy Transfer and Policy Research Institutes, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Ladi, S. (editor), (2005), Europeanization and Environmental Policy, Policy and Society, 24.2.
- Percy-Smith, J. with Burden, T., Darlow, A., Dowson, L., Hawtin, M. and Ladi, S. (2002), Promoting Change through Research, York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
Articles in peer reviewed journals
- Ladi, S. and Tsarouhas, D. (2020), "EU Economic Governance and Covid-19: Policy Learning and Windows of Opportunity”, Journal of European Integration (accepted and forthcoming).
- Wolff. S. and Ladi., S. (2020), “European Union Responses to the Covid-19 Pandemic: Adaptability in Times of Permanent Emergency” Journal of European Integration (accepted and forthcoming).
- Ladi, S., Angelou, A. and Panagiotatou, D. (2020), “Regaining Trust: evidence-informed policy making during the Covid crisis in Greece”, South European Society and Politics (forthcoming).
- Ladi, S. and Tsarouhas, D. (2020), “The EU’s Economic Governance Response to Covid-19: Policy Learning and Windows of Opportunity”, Journal of European Integration (in progress).
- Wolff. S. and Ladi., S. (2020), “Pandemic Politics and European Union Responses” Journal of European Integration (in progress).
- Crespy, A. and Ladi, S. (2019), “In the Name of ‘the People’? Popular Sovereignty and the 2015 Greek Referendum”, Journal of European Integration, 41. 7: 871-885 https://doi.org/10.1080/07036337.2019.1665661
- Ladi, S. and Tsagkroni V. (2019), “Analysing Crisis Parliamentary Discourse: Who should we Blame?”, Journal of Common Market Studies: 1-20, DOI: 10.1111/jcms.12873
- Ladi, S., Lazarou, E. and Hauck, J. (2018), “Brazilian Think-Tanks and the Rise of Austerity Discourse”, Policy & Society, 37. 2: 222-242. (available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/14494035.2017.1397396).
- Ladi, S. and Tsarouhas, D. (2017),“The International Diffusion of Regulatory Governance: EU Actorness in Public Procurement” Regulation and Governance, 11: 388–403. (available at: https://doi:10.1111/rego.12163).
- Stone, D. and Ladi, S. (2015), “Global Public Policy and Transnational Administration”, Public Administration, 9. 4: 839-55 (available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/padm.12207/abstract).
- Ladi, S., and Tsarouhas, D. (2014) “The Politics of Austerity and Public Policy Reform in the EU”, Political Studies Review, 12. 2: 171-80. (available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1478-9302.12048/full).
- Ladi S. (2014), “Austerity Politics and Administrative Reform: The Eurozone Crisis and its Impact upon Greek Public Administration” Comparative European Politics, 12.2: 184-208. (available at http://www.palgrave-journals.com/cep/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/cep201246a.html).
- Tsarouhas, D. and Ladi, S. (2013), “Globalization and/or Europeanization? The Case of Flexicurity”, New Political Economy, 18. 4: 480-502 (available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13563467.2012.717612).
- Ladi, S. (2011), “Policy Change and Soft Europeanization: The Transfer of the Ombudsman Institution to Greece, Cyprus and Malta”, Public Administration, 89. 4: 1643-1663.
- Ladi, S. (2007), “The Role of Experts in Greek Foreign Policy” Hellenic Studies/ Etudes Helleniques, 15. 1: 67-84.
- Ladi, S. (2007), “Europeanization and Reforms of Environmental Policy in Greece”, Greek Political Science Review, 29: 40-60 (in Greek).
- Ladi, S. (2005), “Europeanization and Environmental Policy Change”, Policy and Society, 24. 2: 1-15.
- Ladi, S. (2005), “Policy Learning and the Role of Expertise in the Reform Process in Greece”, West European Politics, 28. 2: 279-296.
Chapters in edited books
- Ladi, S. (2020), “Government Policy-Making” in K. Featherstone and D. Sotiropoulos (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Modern Greek Politics, Oxford: Oxford University Press: 441-455.
- Ladi, S. (2020), “Government Policy-Making” in K. Featherstone and D. Sotiropoulos (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Modern Greek Politics, Oxford: Oxford University Press (accepted and forthcoming).
- Ladi, S. (2019), “European Studies as a Tributary of Global Policy and Transnational Administration”, in D. Stone and K. Moloney (eds.), Oxford Handbook on Global Policy and Transnational Administration, Oxford: Oxford University Press: 293-309.
- Leoditsis, V. and Ladi, S. (2017), “The Changing Nature of Europeanization”, in E. Ongaro and S. Van Thiel (eds.), Public Administration and Public Management in Europe, Basingstoke: Palgrave: 765-781.
- Stone, D. and Ladi, S. (2017), “Policy Analysis and Think Tanks in Comparative Perspective”, in M. Brans, I. Geva-May and M. Howlet (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Comparative Policy Analysis, London: Routledge: 324-340.
- Ladi, S. (2016), “Discursive Institutionalism, Problem Definition and the Consequences of Crisis for Agenda-Setting” in N. Zahariadis (ed.), Handbook of Public Policy Agenda Setting, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar: 457-469.
- Ladi, S. and Graziano, P. (2014), “‘Fast-Forward’ Europeanization: Welfare State Reform in Light of the Eurozone Crisis”, in Coman, R., Kostera, Th. and Tomini, L. (eds.), Europeanization and EU Integration: From Incremental to Structural Change?, Basingstoke: Palgrave: 108-126.
- Ladi, S. (2012) “Rival Hypotheses of Europeanization: Comparing the Roles of the EU and BSEC in Good Governance Reforms” in Th. Exadaktylos και C. Radaelli (eds), Research Design in European Studies, Basingstoke: Palgrave: 221-36.
- Ladi, S. (2012), “The Greek Economic Crisis: A Trigger for Public Administration Reforms?” in P. Liargovas (ed.), Greece: Economics, Political and Social Issues, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc: 197-207.
- Ladi, S. (2011), “Think-Tanks, Discursive Institutionalism and Policy Change”, in G. Papanagnou (ed), Social Science and Policy Challenges, Paris: UNESCO: 205-220.
- Ladi, S. (2004) “Environmental Policy Transfer in Germany and Greece” in M. Evans (ed), Policy Transfer in Global Perspective, Aldershot: Ashgate: 79-92.
- Ladi, S. (2000), “Globalization, Think-Tanks and Policy Transfer” in D. Stone (ed.), Banking on Knowledge: The Genesis of the GDN, London: Routledge: 203-220.
Encyclopedia entries and bibliographies
- Ladi, S. and Spyropoulou, V. (2019), “Greek Crisis.” in P. James (ed.), Oxford Bibliographies in International Relations. New York: Oxford University Press, https://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199743292/obo-9780199743292-0268.xml?rskey=Drp5zd&result=98.
- Ladi, S. (2011), “Think-Tanks” in B. Badie, D. Birg-Schlosser and L. Morlino (eds.), International Encyclopaedia of Political Science, London: Sage.
- Lampropoulou, M. and Ladi, S. (2020), “The Role and Performance of Independent Regulatory Agencies in Post-Crisis Greece?” GreeSE Paper No 145, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Voss, E., Ladi, S. and Rego, R. (2015), Squaring the Circle: Innovations and Tools of Balancing Restructuring and Cost-Saving with longer Term Visions of Sustainable and High Quality Public Services, Final Report of the CEEP Project “Exchange of Practices between Leaders in Public Services”.
- Ladi, S. (2015), “Is it true that the Public Sector in Greece is unduly large?”, Crisis Observatory, Athens: Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (in Greek). http://crisisobs.gr/2015/04/stella-ladi-ine-alithia-oti-o-dimosios-tomeas-stin-ellada-ine-ipervolika-megalos/
- Ladi S. (2012), “The Eurozone Crisis and Austerity Politics: A Trigger for Administrative Reform in Greece?” GreeSE Paper No 57, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Ladi, S. (2011), “Economic Crisis and Administrative Reform in Greece and Cyprus: Opportunities and Constraints”, Policy Paper 2, Nicosia: Cyprus Center for European and International Affairs, University of Nicosia (in Greek).
- Ladi. S. (2008), “Good Governance and Public Administration Reform in Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) Member-States”, Xenophon Paper No 6, Athens: ICBSS.
- Ladi, S. (2006), “Globalization and Europeanization: Analysing Change” Working Paper 4, Barcelona: IBEI.
- Ladi, S. and Pop, D. (2005), Approaches to Measuring Capacity and Capacity-Building for Policy Research, Budapest: Center for Policy Studies, Central European University.
Current Doctoral Students:
- Ladi, S., Gago, A., Moury, C. and Cardoso, D., 9/7/2020, “Coronavirus Recovery – Lessons from the Eurozone Crisis”, article at The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-recovery-lessons-from-the-eurozone-crisis-142191
- Interview with Andrej Matisak on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, Pravda, 22/5/20, https://spravy.pravda.sk/svet/clanok/552245-z-grecka-covid-19-neurobil-choreho-muza-europy/
- Interview with Naomi O’Leary on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, The Irish Times, 19/5/20, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/this-whole-corridor-is-dead-europe-s-coronavirus-care-home-disaster-1.4256568
- Interview with Jaime Gutierrez on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, RTVE, 7/5/20, https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200507/coronavirus-grecia-portugal/2013383.shtml
- Interview with Alex Economou on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, Neos Kosmos, 4/5/20, https://neoskosmos.com/en/163841/greek-example-shows-way-for-countries-mired-in-covid-19-crisis/
- Interview with Joaquin Luna Morales on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, La Vanguardia, 3/5/20, https://www.lavanguardia.com/internacional/20200503/48924267392/los-aciertos-de-grecia-y-portugal.html
- Interview with Foteini Sfakiotaki on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, TV Creta News Programme, 25/4/20, https://tvcreta.gr/news/25-4-2020/ (from 1:20:04).
- Interview with Adrian Cochino on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, Libertatea, 24/4/20, https://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/grecia-virus-succes-experta-atena-2968353
- Interview with Billy Perrigo on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, The Time, 21/4/20 https://time.com/5824836/greece-coronavirus/
- S. Ladi, 17/4/20, “Greece: despite a decade of health cuts, coronavirus death rates appear comparatively low”, article at The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/greece-despite-a-decade-of-health-cuts-coronavirus-death-rates-appear-comparatively-low-136293
- Interview with Marina Rafenberg on coronavirus crisis management in Greece, Le Monde, 16/4/20, https://www.lemonde.fr/international/article/2020/04/16/coronavirus-en-grece-paques-la-plus-grande-fete-religieuse-sera-celebree-en-regime-confine_6036836_3210.html
- S. Ladi, 13/4/20, “Regaining Trust: tackling the coronavirus in Greece”, LSE Blog, https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/greeceatlse/2020/04/13/regaining-trust-tackling-the-corona-virus-in-greece/
- Interview with Katy Fallon on Greece’s management of Covid-19, The Independent, 8/4/20, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-greece-cases-deaths-flatten-curve-update-a9455436.html
- Interview with Viviana Garcia on the negotiations after Brexit, EFE, 28/1/2020 https://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20200128/473193824755/la-negociacion-comercial-nuevo-capitulo-en-la-saga-del-brexit.html
- Interview with Yiannis Papadimitriou on the election of a new President of Democracy in Greece, Deutsche Welle Radio, 21/1/2020.
- Interview with Almudena Domenech Redondo on British national elections, EFE, 9/12/19, https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/portada/los-britanicos-deciden-en-las-urnas-si-se-regalan-el-brexit-por-navidad/10010-4128463 reproduced in many Spanish newspapers.
- Interview with Marina Rafenberg on Greek PMs visit to Paris, Le Monde, 23/8/19 https://www.lemonde.fr/international/article/2019/08/23/kyriakos-mitsotakis-cherche-des-allies-pour-desserrer-l-etau-budgetaire-sur-la-grece_5501987_3210.html
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on no deal Brexit, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 4/8/19.
- Interview with Pericles Vassilopoulos, Athens Calling, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 15/7/19, https://www.mixcloud.com/PericlesVassilopoulos/athens-calling-15072019/
- Interview with Charlotte Stievenard on the newly elected Greek government, Radio France International, 13/7/19, http://www.rfi.fr/emission/20190713-le-gouvernement-kyriakos-mitsotakis-lance-premiers-chantiers
- Interview with Andrej Matisak on the Greek elections, Pravda, 8/7/19, https://spravy.pravda.sk/svet/clanok/518419-tsipras-grekov-sklamal-uspokoji-ich-nova-vlada/
- Interview with Nick Miller on the Greek elections, The Sydney Morning Herald, 6/7/19, https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/greek-election-signals-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-populism-20190705-p524ef.html
- Interview with Lasse Sol Sunde on the Greek elections for Weekendavisen and for the Danish National Radio https://www.dr.dk/radio/p1/orientering/orientering-2019-07-05 (at 28.40) and https://www.dr.dk/radio/p1/orientering/orientering-weekend-2019-06-29 (at 01.11), 24/6/19.
- Interview with Marina Rafenberg on the European elections as a test for Alexis Tsipras, Le Monde, 24/5/19, https://www.lemonde.fr/international/article/2019/05/24/en-grece-les-elections-europeennes-ont-valeur-de-test-pour-alexis-tsipras_5466792_3210.html
- Roundtable on the European Parliament elections of May 2019, Hellenic Parliament TV Channel, Athens, 15/5/19, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAB4VV3rTV4 (at 42,37min).
- Interview with Charlotte Stievenard on the Greek political parties campaigns for the European elections, Radio France International, 10/5/19, http://www.rfi.fr/europe/20190511-grece-elections-europeennes-campagne-tsipras-syriza
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on the European Elections, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 12/5/19.
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on Brexit, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 30/3/19.
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on the UK Parliament vote on Brexit, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 19/1/19.
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on the UK Parliament vote on Brexit, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 8/12/18.
- Interview with Marta Mladenova on Y. Varoufakis candidature for MEP, Bulgarian National Radio, 30/11/18, http://bnr.bg/post/101052253/katerina-di-facio-transnacionalnite-demokratichni-dvijenia-sa-novoto-politichesko-avlenie-v-evropa
- Interview on Brexit negotiations standstill, Radio Sputnik, 16/10/18, https://soundcloud.com/radiosputnik/uk-still-has-time-to-get-an-agreement-despite-no-deal-possibility-expert
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on the UK government crisis in light of the Brexit negotiations, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 14/7/18.
- Interview on the First Round of the Brexit Negotiations, Voice of Islam, 14/12/17, https://m.soundcloud.com/voislam/breakfast-show-podcast-14-12-2017?in=voislam/sets/breakfast-show-1
- Interview on the European Commission’s Proposal on the Eurozone Reform, Radio Sputnik, 7/12/17, https://soundcloud.com/radiosputnik/none-of-the-countries-are-ready-to-join-the-eurozone-because-of-economic-criteria-dr-stella-ladi
- S. Ladi, “The Future of Europe goes through its Regions”, Ta Nea, 7/1/17, pp. 30-31 (in Greek, daily newspaper).
- Interview to Almudena Domenech on Brexit Referendum Anniversary, EFE, London, 23/6/17.
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on the announcement of the British elections, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 22/4/17.
- Interview to Polydefkis Papadopoulos on Brexit, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 1/4/17.
- Interview to Viviana Garcia on Brexit, EFE, London, 31/12/16.
- Interview to Thanasi Tsakiris, Ilioupolis On Air Radio Station, “Political Science and Public Policy”, 6/12/16, http://www.ilioupolisonline.gr/component/muscol/A/13-ax-eksousia/56-ax-eksousia-2016-2017/227-6-12-2016-me-ti-stella-ladi-gia-politiki-epistimi-kai-dimosia-politiki.html?Itemid=901 (in Greek)
- Interview to Stelios Vogiatzakis, Ethnos, “17 Years Old: Cautious but Ready for the Vote”, 9/7/2016, http://www.ethnos.gr/koinonia/arthro/epifylaktikoi_oi_17xronoi_alla_etoimoi_gia_tin_kalpi-64405486/ (in Greek).
- Interview to Efi Koutsokosta on Brexit, Euronews, 28/6/2016.
- Interview to James Franey on Brexit, Euronews, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYXGfGl5wk&feature=youtu.be, 22/6/2016.
- Interview to Konstantina Dimitrouli, First Radio Programme, ERT, Athens, 10/5/2016.
- Interview with Alexey Bogdanovsky, RIA Novosti, Russia, 22nd September 2015
- Interview with Aashild Langved, The Norwegian Business Daily, 18th September 2015
- Interview on Radio France International, 23rd July 15
- Ubuntu Radio. Greek crisis radio interview, 21st July 2015
- Andalou Agency - Energy News. 'Greece-Russia relations strong for energy', 14th July 2015
- Sputnik News. Alexis Tsipras: Greek Colossus Battling EU Dwarves, 11th July 2015
- RIA. 'Greece went bankrupt, improvements will take months', 10th July 2015
- Radio France International. 'Can Greece reach an EU bailout deal?' 25th June 2015
- Arise TV News. 'Is Greece able to do a deal with its creditors?, 17th June 2015
- Estrategia. 'De No Obtener Apoyo de Syriza, Tsipras Tendr? que Llamar a un Refer?ndum o a Elecciones [PDF 210KB]', 5th June 2015
- Estrategia. 'El Pago de Grecia Ayer No Cambia Nada [PDF 997KB]', 10th March 2015
- BBC Radio 4 Today Programme. 'Is Varoufakis applying game theory in his negotiations with the Eurozone partners?', 17th February 2015
- Radio Sputnik. 'Greece and Troika need to find an immediate solution', 16th February 2015
- WORT 89.9FM. 'Whats happening in Greek Politics', 6th February 2015
- Al-Jazeera Newshour. 'Dr Ladi discusses upcoming Greek elections', 29th December 2014