The REAL-HEALTH Respiratory initiative helps GP practices improve their management of common respiratory conditions, with an initial focus on asthma.
Identifying high-risk asthma patients
Using guidelines, educational materials, and an in-practice software tool, the programme aims to reduce asthma-related hospital admissions by improving management of the condition in primary care. The programme:
- Provides practices with tools that help them identify patients with high-risk asthma, based on prescribing records;
- Optimises asthma management and prescribing, with regular structured asthma reviews for those at highest risk of hospital admission.
Guidelines and educational resources
- Summary guidelines [PDF 481KB] ‘Identifying patients with asthma at high risk of hospital admission’
- GP info sheet [PDF 378KB] ‘Identifying patients with asthma at high risk of hospital admission’
- Patient info sheet [PDF 275KB] ‘How do I look after my asthma?’
- AccuRx instruction guide [PDF 204KB] - How to set up AccuRx Patient SMS Templates in your practice
About the programme
Five-minute explanatory video: ‘Reducing hospital admissions for Asthma. EMIS Web tools to support Primary Care Asthma Management’
Anna De Simoni, Sally Hull, Chris Griffiths, Paul Pfeffer, Jim Cole, Hajar Hajmohammadi