Dr Yao Lu
Lecturer in Chemistry
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 6627Room Number: Room 1.03, Joseph Priestley Building
I am Yao Lu, a material scientist with educational background both in Materials Chemistry (PhD) and Mechanical Engineering (Master of Engineering in Dalian University of Technology). Before joining QMUL, I obtained my PhD in UCL Chemistry (2017) followed by postdoctoral research in UCL Mechanical Engineering. I have broad interests in functional materials, and I am very keen to collaborate with both academic and industry to develop and transfer new knowledge and technology.
Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in collaborations or studying a PhD programme in my group.
- Super-durable, lotus leaf inspired superhydrophobic surfaces - Materials design, synthesis, characterisation and applications in self-cleaning, anti-icing, anti-corrosion etc.
- Mechanically/chemically durable membrane/foam/filter for oil-water separation - Materials design, synthesis, characterisation and applications in separating water and immiscible oils/organic solvents such as corn oil, crude oil, toluene, chloroform etc.
- Pitcher plant inspired omniphobic slippery liquid infused porous surfaces - Materials design, synthesis, characterisation and applications in anti-fouling and anti-icing.
- Superhydrophilic, photocatalytic and self-cleaning coatings - Materials design, synthesis, characterisation and applications in photodegradation of organic pollutant on the surfaces.
- Computational intelligence assisted understanding and designing advanced functional materials.
- Particle interaction measurements in liquids using colloidal probe techniques to study local rheology of particle suspensions.
- Take a look at Yao Lu's Google Scholar citations
- Y. Lu, S. Sathasivam, J. Song, C. R. Crick, C. J. Carmalt, I. P. Parkin, Robust self-cleaning surfaces that function when exposed to either air or oil, Science 2015, 347, 1132–1135.
- X. Zhang, B. Ding, R. Cheng, S. C. Dixon, Y. Lu* (corresponding author), Computational intelligence assisted understanding of nature-inspired superhydrophobic behavior, Adv. Sci. 2018, 5, 1700520.
- Y. Lu, S. Sathasivam, J. Song, F. Chen, W. Xu, C. J. Carmalt, I. P. Parkin, Creating superhydrophobic mild steel surfaces for water proofing and oil-water separation, J. Mater. Chem. A 2014, 2, 11628–11634.
- Yang X, Li Y, Zheng H et al. (2022), Saturated Surface Charging on Micro/Nanoporous Polytetrafluoroethylene for Droplet Manipulation $nameOfConference
- Zhuang K, Lu Y, Wang X et al. (2021), Architecture-Driven Fast Droplet Transport without Mass Loss $nameOfConference
- Zhang B, Xu W, Xia DH et al. (2021), Comparison Study of Self-Cleaning, Anti-Icing, and Durable Corrosion Resistance of Superhydrophobic and Lubricant-Infused Ultraslippery Surfaces $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2021), Liquid-like Transparent and Flexible Coatings for Anti-graffiti Applications $nameOfConference
- Tang Y, Yang X, Li Y et al. (2021), Robust Micro-Nanostructured Superhydrophobic Surfaces for Long-Term Dropwise Condensation $nameOfConference
- Mehanna YA, Sadler E, Upton RL et al. (2021), The challenges, achievements and applications of submersible superhydrophobic materials $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/d0cs01056a
- Lu Y (2021), Design Robust, Degradable and Recyclable Superhydrophobic Materials $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2021), Photolithography-Assisted Precise Patterning of Nanocracks for Ultrasensitive Strain Sensors $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/D0TA11374C
- Lu Y (2021), A coating-free superhydrophobic sensing material for full-range human motion and microliter droplet impact detection $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Unprecedented enhancement of wear resistance for epoxy-resin graphene composites $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/D0NR08600B
- Liu J, Pang B, Xue R et al. (2020), Sacrificial layer-assisted nanoscale transfer printing $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Creation of Topological Ultra-Slippery Surfaces for Droplet Motion Control $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Nanocrack-based strain sensors $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/D0TC04346J
- Lu Y (2020), Energy Conversion Based on Superhydrophobic Surfaces $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/D0CP04257A
- Lu Y (2020), Durable Fire Retardant, Superhydrophobic, Abrasive Resistant and Air/UV Stable Coatings $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), A simple, inexpensive and environmental-friendly electrochemical etching method to fabricate superhydrophobic GH4169 surfaces $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Nanoscale SiO2-coated superhydrophobic meshes via electro-spray deposition for oil-water separation $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Self-healing on mismatched fractured composite surfaces of SiC with a diameter of 180 nm $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/D0NR04127K
- Lu Y (2020), Bamboo-joint-like platforms for fast, long-distance, directional and spontaneous transport of fluids $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1063/5.0005358
- Zhang Z, Du Y, Huang S et al. (2020), Macroscale Superlubricity: Macroscale Superlubricity Enabled by Graphene‐Coated Surfaces (Adv. Sci. 4/2020) $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2020), Macroscale superlubricity enabled by graphene coated surfaces $nameOfConference
- Song J, Huang L, Zhao C et al. (2019), Robust Superhydrophobic Conical Pillars from Syringe Needle Shape to Straight Conical Pillar Shape for Droplet Pancake Bouncing. $nameOfConference
- Huang J, Shen J, Li S et al. (2019), TiO2 nanotube arrays decorated with Au and Bi2S3 nanoparticles for efficient Fe3+ ions detection and dye photocatalytic degradation $nameOfConference
- Lu Y (2019), Superhydrophilic-Superhydrophobic Patterned Surfaces on Glass Substrate for Water Harvesting $nameOfConference
- Jiamprasertboon A, Kafizas A, Sachs M et al. (2019), Heterojunction α-Fe2 O3 /ZnO Films with Enhanced Photocatalytic Properties Grown by Aerosol-Assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition. $nameOfConference
- Jiamprasertboon A, Dixon SC, Sathasivam S et al. (2019), Low-Cost One-Step Fabrication of Highly Conductive ZnO:Cl Transparent Thin Films with Tunable Photocatalytic Properties via Aerosol-Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition. $nameOfConference
- Cui J, Zhang Z, Liu D et al. (2019), Unprecedented piezoresistance coefficient in strained silicon carbide. $nameOfConference
- Song J, Liu Z, Wang X et al. (2019), High-efficiency bubble transportation in an aqueous environment on a serial wedge-shaped wettability pattern $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/c9ta02095k
- Cui J, Zhang Z, Jiang H et al. (2019), Ultrahigh Recovery of Fracture Strength on Mismatched Fractured Amorphous Surfaces of Silicon Carbide. $nameOfConference
- Jia S, Lu Y, Luo S et al. (2019), Thermally-induced all-damage-healable superhydrophobic surface with photocatalytic performance from hierarchical BiOCl $nameOfConference
- Song J, Li Y, Xu W et al. (2019), Inexpensive and non-fluorinated superhydrophobic concrete coating for anti-icing and anti-corrosion. $nameOfConference
- Hu X, Zhang Z, Lu Y et al. (2019), One-step synthesis of Ag@PS nanospheres via flash nanoprecipitation $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1002/aoc.4713
- Sun J, Chen C, Song J et al. (2019), A universal method to create surface patterns with extreme wettability on metal substrates. $nameOfConference
- Wang X, Lu Y, Carmalt CJ et al. (2018), Multifunctional Porous and Magnetic Silicone with High Elasticity, Durability, and Oil-Water Separation Properties. $nameOfConference
- Sun J, Cheng W, Song J-L et al. (2018), Fabrication of Superhydrophobic Micro Post Array on Aluminum Substrates Using Mask Electrochemical Machining $nameOfConference
- Song J, Huang W, Liu J et al. (2018), Electrochemical machining of superhydrophobic surfaces on mold steel substrates $nameOfConference
- Li S, Page K, Sathasivam S et al. (2018), Efficiently texturing hierarchical superhydrophobic fluoride-free translucent films by AACVD with excellent durability and self-cleaning ability $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/c8ta05402a
- Jiamprasertboon A, Powell MJ, Dixon SC et al. (2018), Photocatalytic and electrically conductive transparent Cl-doped ZnO thin films via aerosol-assisted chemical vapour deposition $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/c8ta01420e
- Luo H, Lu Y, Yin S et al. (2018), Robust platform for water harvesting and directional transport $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/c8ta01096j
- Zhang X, Ding B, Cheng R et al. (2017), Computational Intelligence-Assisted Understanding of Nature-Inspired Superhydrophobic Behavior $nameOfConference
- He G, Qiao M, Li W et al. (2017), S, N-Co-Doped Graphene-Nickel Cobalt Sulfide Aerogel: Improved Energy Storage and Electrocatalytic Performance. $nameOfConference
- Chen F, Lu Y, Liu X et al. (2017), Table Salt as a Template to Prepare Reusable Porous PVDF–MWCNT Foam for Separation of Immiscible Oils/Organic Solvents and Corrosive Aqueous Solutions $nameOfConference
- Song J, Gao M, Zhao C et al. (2017), Large-Area Fabrication of Droplet Pancake Bouncing Surface and Control of Bouncing State $nameOfConference
- He G, Ling M, Han X et al. (2017), Self-standing electrodes with core-shell structures for high-performance supercapacitors $nameOfConference
- Lu Y, Sathasivam S, Song J et al. (2015), Robust self-cleaning surfaces that function when exposed to either air or oil $nameOfConference
- Chen F, Song J, Lu Y et al. (2015), Creating robust superamphiphobic coatings for both hard and soft materials $nameOfConferenceDOI: 10.1039/c5ta05333a
Current PhD opportunities
I am currently recruiting self-funded and/or government funded (e.g. CSC Scholarship) PhD students. Please send your CV to my email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in any of my research projects.