Queen Mary Alumni Loyalty Award
About the award
Level: Masters, PhD
Course: The Alumni Loyalty Award is open to all Queen Mary graduates enrolling on a postgraduate degree programme except those on full scholarships.
Value: £1000 or 20% discount depending on programme of study (please see FAQs below for full details of award)
No. of awards: Unlimited
Deadline: This discount will automatically be applied upon enrolment
Whether you want to further explore your chosen academic subject, advance your career or broaden your employment options, a postgraduate degree from Queen Mary could open up doors for you.
Who is eligible?
- The Alumni Loyalty Award is open to all Queen Mary graduates enrolling on a full postgraduate degree programme who are self-funding at least part of their tuition fees.
- Queen Mary graduates are defined as anyone who has undertaken an undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree at Queen Mary University of London.
- Postgraduate degree programmes are defined as any full-time, part-time or distance learning Master’s or Doctorate* degree programme offered at QMUL. Queen Mary Online programmes, joint-awards, split-site degrees and courses less than 12 months in length are not eligible. Queen Mary Online students are eligible for a 10 per cent Alumni Scholarship Loyalty Award – please visit their website for more information.
- This Award can be combined with other Queen Mary scholarships but will not be awarded to fully sponsored students.** Students who are partly sponsored will have the discount applied to that part of the fees which are not being paid for elsewhere.
- *This award for PhD students is for the first year only.
- **This award is available to students receiving the US Federal Loan as they are recorded as self-payers with payment plans.
Students who have studied at Queen Mary as an associate student (Study Abroad, Erasmus+, International Exchange Programme) will qualify for the Alumni Associate Bursary for Postgraduate study.
Students who are have an offer for MSc Economics may be eligible for the Economics Alumni Award.
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Master of Laws (LLM)
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Research (MRes)
- Master of Clinical Dentistry (MClinDent)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Who is ineligible?
- Students who are fully sponsored are not eligible for this Award. Full sponsorship means tuition fees are paid in full by an employer, industrial sponsor, government, charity or other third party organisation. This Award is intended to help students who are self-financing some or all of their postgraduate studies.
- Pre-sessional English courses, Foundation programmes, PG Diplomas, pre-Masters, and Postgraduate Certificate courses do not qualify you as a Queen Mary graduate in respect of this award.
How do I apply?
- You do not have to submit a separate application for the award; you will be automatically considered at the point of offer. The discount will then be applied to your tuition fees and you will be asked to cover the remaining amount.
- For part-time courses, you will be eligible for the full award, but this will be split over the two years (i.e. 50% of the award in the first year and 50% in the second year).
- The Alumni Loyalty Award will not require repaying if the student leaves part way through their studies; it will be assessed pro-rata, to coincide with the procedure for calculating outstanding tuition fees. However, please check this with the Finance (Fees) Office when arranging withdrawal from the course.
- This Award can only be used towards tuition fees and will never be paid directly to the student. Should you obtain tuition fee sponsorship after beginning your course then you should advise the university immediately. If you are found to breach your commitments or not respond accurately to request for information then QMUL is entitled to immediately suspend the Award.
How much is it worth?
Master’s students (MSc and MRes) joining the Faculty of Science and Engineering and Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry will receive a £1000 off their tuition fees. For part-time this will be spread evenly over the two years.
Master’s students (MSc and MRes) enrolling in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences will get a 20% discount.
PhD students will receive £1000 off of their first years fees and will not receive the award in subsequent years.
What if I have not yet graduated from my first Queen Mary degree?
Once you complete your first degree you will be eligible. You do not have to attend the graduation ceremony to be eligible. You simply have to complete all components of the degree.
My sponsor is paying part of my fees. Am I still eligible for the Award?
Yes, as long as you will self-fund some of your fees, you will be eligible for this Award.
Will the Award apply to future academic cycles?
We review this Award annually and it may be revised or removed from subsequent academic cycles.
Can I apply for the Award twice if I study for my undergraduate, masters and PhD at Queen Mary?
Yes, this discount can be used twice, once for a Masters degree and once for a Doctoral degree.
What if I leave part way through my course? Will the Award be repayable?
The Award will be assessed pro-rata and you will not have to repay the portion that has been awarded to you if you leave your course. This will coincide with the procedure for calculating outstanding tuition fees. You should check the details with Finance when withdrawing from your course as these procedures vary depending on the date on which you withdraw.
Am I eligible even if I am applying for the UK Government Postgraduate loan?
If you take a postgraduate government loan to pay your fees or receive financial support from a friend or relative, this will be classed as self-financing and therefore eligible for the Award.
Am I eligible if I am enrolling on a Distance Learning Masters course?
Yes, the award applies for students enrolling on our Distance Learning Masters programmes.
Please note that the award does not apply for Queen Mary Online programmes. Queen Mary Online students are eligible for a 10% Alumni Scholarship Loyalty Award – please visit their website for more information.
Please note School scholarships are subject to university-wide Terms and Conditions.