Asylum Seekers Fee Concession
About the award
Country: United Kingdom
Value: Reduction in fees payable
No. of awards: Various
Deadline: 31st July 2018
We pleased to offer a tuition fee concession to all asylum seekers or children of asylum seekers who meet the eligibility criteria. While your asylum application is under consideration by the Home Officer, you will be entitled to pay the ‘home’ rate of tuition fees. This fee concession will be available to all undergraduate students on all programmes, except those course offered by the School of Medicine and Dentistry that lead to qualified status as a doctor, dentist, or dental hygienist or therapist.
To be considered for an asylum seekers fee concession, you must meet the following requirements:
- you or your parent/guardian or spouse/partner must have submitted an asylum or human rights application, which is awaiting a decision from the Home Office;
- have applied for asylum before applying to study at university;
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer to study at Queen Mary University of London in the following academic year AND accepted this firmly;
- not have completed undergraduate degree level study elsewhere.
Eligible students are normally identified by the Admissions Office through our standard process of fee status assessment. However, if you have not been contacted for further fee status assessment and you believe you are eligible for an asylum seekers’ tuition fee concession, please email the Admissions Office (email@example.com) with the following information:
- Full name, UCAS personal id, course on which you are holding an offer
- Statement informing the Admissions Office that you would like to be considered for the asylum seekers tuition fee concession
Please inform us in writing by 31 July if you would like to be considered for this concession, and no later than 1 September.
*** If you have already submitted an application for the Asylum Seekers Bursary 2018/19 you will be considered for an asylum seekers fee concession automatically if you meet the eligibility requirements and do not need to submit a further application form.***
You may be asked for further information or to complete a fee status questionnaire, if you have not already, to evaluate your eligibility for the fee concession. The Admissions Office will request information as necessary.
Fee concession requests are evaluated by the Admissions Office and students are informed in writing of tuition fee concession no later than 15 September.
Terms and Conditions
Fee concessions will be awarded automatically to students who enrol at Queen Mary University of London, subject to the following terms and conditions.
- You must meet the general eligibility criteria set out above.
- You must be holding a conditional or unconditional offer of a place on an undergraduate programme, except those courses offered by the School of Medicine and Dentistry that lead to qualified status as a doctor, dentist or dental hygienist or therapist.
- You must have accepted your offer from Queen Mary University of London as your firm choice.
- The award will remain in place while your asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office. During this period your fee status will be recorded as ‘overseas’ but you will be required only to pay the ‘home’ rate of tuition fee. If or when your asylum application is successful and you are granted refugee status, your fee status will be changed to ‘home’.
- The award will be provided in each standard year of study for the course to which you are admitted. Extension of the award to cover repeat years of study or additional years resulting from a change of programme, e.g. from three to four years, will be approved on a discretionary basis only.
- You will be required to provide evidence of your immigration status annually in advance of enrolment in September. We reserve the right to verify your immigration status with the Home Office.
- Awards are discretionary and we reserve the right to withdraw awards if we receive information from the Home Office that you should not be studying in the UK.
If you have any questions or would like further information about the Asylum Seekers’ tuition fee concessions, please contact the Admissions Office:
0207 882 5511