LGBT+ History Month 2020
Queen Mary is proud to be celebrating LGBT+ History Month, with an exciting programme of events to highlight the history and achievements of LGBTQ+ communities.
LGBT+ History Month takes place annually and aims to promote equality and diversity by:
- increasing the visibility of LBGTQ+ people, their history, lives and their experiences,
- raising awareness and advancing education on issues affecting the LGBTQ+ community and,
- working to make educational and other institutions safe spaces for all LGBTQ+ communities,
- celebrating advances in the fight for equality, and recognising that there is still further to go,
- For allies, it’s a chance to better understand the struggles that LGBTQ+ people face and how to better support them
Please do come along to an event, whether that be a talk; a film screening; a play reading or the information stall with the Student Life team, QMSU and specialists from LGBTQ+ organisations such as Galop and ELOP.
Other events and information
The library will be hosting an LGBTQ+ library section over the course of the month, so if you are interested in reading something new, or looking for an old favourite, head over to Mile End Library.
The SU are also holding a number of events, more information can be found here.
The LGBTQ+ community still faces discrimination, if you or someone else has experienced bullying and harassment, hate incidents or violence, you can report it and/or access support through Report and Support.
There is also Hate Crime Awareness Training available, delivered by Stop Hate UK, which you can sign up for here.
Show your support for LGBT+ History Month at Queen Mary by downloading and using our new LGBTQ+ inclusive logo in your email signature, on social media, and in any other Queen Mary branded comms.
LGBTQplus inclusive logo 2020 (click to download)
LGBTQplus inclusive logo 2020 - social media version (click to download)
We look forward to celebrating LGBT+ History Month with you.