Dr Joanne J. Zhang
Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship; Programme Director for Undergraduate Joint Programmes (Business and Management)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 7276Room Number: Room 3.36, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End CampusOffice Hours: Thursday 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Programme Director for Undergraduate Joint programmes (Business and Management)
- Director of Entrepreneurship Hub and QM Social Venture Fund
- Member of the Department of Business and Society
Joanne is a Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship. She is the director of the SBM Entrepreneurship Hub and the founding director of QM social venture fund - the first student-led social venture fund investing in student-led social ventures in the UK. She is also the director of the Joint Programmes at SBM. Previously she held positions at the University of Cambridge (UK innovation research centre fellow), the University of East Anglia and the City University of London.
Driven by her prior entrepreneurial experience in China and the UK, Joanne’s research and teaching interests are entrepreneurship, innovation and education with a focus on technology and social ventures. Joanne has engaged in and led large-scale research grant bidding, delivery and external engagement, including SKETCH “Student Knowledge Exchange Through Community Hubs” (£650K, Research England and Office for students, QMUL), “New Modes of Innovation: Managerial and Strategic Business Practice and Open Innovation” (£5m, ESRC supported, Cambridge and Imperial), “Financial and Organizational innovation in UK Biotechnology sector” (£1.3m, EPSRC supported, City University and SPRU).
Joanne gained both her MBA and PhD in Management Studies from The Business School, City, University of London (SIMFONEC scholarship).
Dr Zhang has considerable teaching experience at UG, PG and Executive Education level and has been nominated for the Education award 2019 in two categories – Teacher of the year as well as assessment and feedback champion.
She is a senior fellow at Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- BUS342: Start-Ups and Incubators
- BUSM186: Strategic Entrepreneurship
- BUSM177: Innovation and Global Competition
Dr Zhang has been an invited speaker at OECD, NESTA, Technology Strategy Board as well as advisors to start-ups. Some examples:
- Panellist, Entrepreneurs Raleigh lecture, the Guild of Entrepreneurs, Drapers’ Hall, Dec 2019, London, UK.
- Panellist, The 5th Future Ed in Higher Education Conference, June 2019, London, UK
- “Open innovation choice – what is British enterprise doing?” Presented at OECD, Paris & NESTA, London, May/June 2012
- Building boards and advisors for high tech start-ups: ESPRC project showcase event. (Conference) The Business School, City University of London, Session/Day Chair and Organising Committee. June 2009.
Centre and Group Membership:
- Affiliate Member of the Business Ecosystems Research Group (BERG)
- Zhang, J. J.; Baden-Fuller, C.; Zhang, J. 2020. “The co-existence of causation and effectuation in entrepreneurial network development: evidence from UK high-tech start-ups”. Full paper accepted for Academy of Management 2020 conference.
- Zhang, J.J., Lichtenstein, Y; Gander, J., 2015. “Designing scalable digital business model”. Business models and modelling, Advances in Strategic Management Vol 33, p241-277. https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/S0742-332220150000033006
- Cosh, A.D. & Zhang, J.J. 2012 'Variety of search and innovation: a comparative study of US manufacturing and knowledge intensive business services sectors.' Centre for Business Research Working Papers Series WP No. 431. University of Cambridge.
- Zhang, J. J., Baden-Fuller, C.; Pool, J. K. 2011. "Resolving the Tensions between Monitoring, Resourcing and Strategizing: Structures and Processes in High Technology Venture Boards". Long Range Planning (ABS 3* Research Journal), 44 Issue 2, p95-117.
- Cosh, A. and Zhang, J.J. 2011. Open innovation choice – what is British enterprise doing? UK Innovation Research Centre, University of Cambridge. ISBN 978‐0‐906251‐21‐8
- Zhang, J.J. and Baden-Fuller, C. 2008. “Knowledge brokering in high-tech start-ups” in Scarbrough, H. (ed.) Evolution of Business Knowledge, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Zhang, J.J. and Baden-Fuller, C. 2006. “Mentoring fast growth start-ups: A Chairman’s tale”. European Case Handbook. Gate2growth/EIASM.
- Zhang, J.J. and Baden-Fuller, C. 2006. “The Phynova story—commericializing knowledge from China”. European Case Handbook, Gate2growth/EIASM.
- Sachs, A. Marino, A. Zhang, J.J. Jackson, T. and Peters, L. 2003. “The value in Fashion: Analysing Fashion companies”, Centre for Fashion Enterprise, London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London, UK.
Student Engagement Activities:
Joanne has engaged in large-scale research grant bidding, delivery and external engagement, including SKETCH “Student Knowledge Exchange Through Community Hubs” (£650K, Research England and Office for students, QMUL), “New Modes of Innovation: Managerial and Strategic Business Practice and Open Innovation” (£5m, ESRC supported, Cambridge and Imperial), “Financial and Organizational innovation in UK Biotechnology sector” (£1.3m, EPSRC supported, City University and SPRU). She has been an invited speaker at OECD, NESTA, Technology Strategy Board, AOM, etc.