Skip to main content
School of Languages, Linguistics and Film

Pre-Sessional Programme. How to Apply

How to Apply for the Summer Pre-Sessional Programmes

You can apply for the Summer Pre-Sessional Programme in your student portal once you have recieved your offer for your main programme.

Step 1: Apply for your Degree Programme

(Before you can apply for your Pre-Sessional Programme, you must first hold an offer for an Undergraduate, Postgraduate or Pre-Masters programme).

You can apply for a degree online by finding your desired programme and following the instructions.

For further information on how to apply, please visit

Step 2: Obtain a Valid Proof of your Level of English.

All Pre-Sessional Programme students must meet Queen Mary's English language requirements and must give evidence of your English language ability by producing an English language test score

Step 3: Apply for the Pre-Sessional Programme.

Once you have accepted your offer for a Queen Mary degree programme, you can apply for the Summer Pre-Sessional Programmes. This is available within your applicant portal under my Application. Click through to the application form by using the purple ‘Pre-Sessional English’ tile. Select the appropriate course length from the options listed, ensuring that the minimum English Language requirements have been met. Please refer to the link below for full details on the requirements.

You will need to upload a copy of your English Language evidence as a part of the application process.

If you are applying via UCAS and wish to study a Pre-Sessional English course please apply using this email address and state which course you wish to be considered for.

Step 4: Accept the Pre-Sessional Programme Offer

Successful applicants will receive an offer for their chosen Pre-Sessional Programme. Please confirm your place by accepting this offer online.

Step 5: Request a CAS

Applicants who require Student Immigration Permission (formerly a Tier 4 visa) in order to be able to study in the UK will require a special reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will be sent instructions on how to request a CAS once you have firmly accepted your unconditional offer. The College will not start assigning CAS numbers for the Pre-Sessional Programme before April of the year you wish to study.

For immigration advice, please visit

Back to top